Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Randomly Restarts

dj_paige

Dec 4, 2013
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5, running Android 6.0.1. It will randomly restart itself, and it seems that the problem is getting more frequent. It does not matter what application(s) I am using. Sometimes I am using my e-reader and haven't touched the screen in a minute or two; other times it happens at the basketball arena where I only check the basketball stats via Chrome during time outs. There doesn't seem to be a single application causing this. It seems to happen most often when I am riding the train to work (and no wi-fi in use), it also happens at the basketball arena (when connected to the wi-fi at the arena), but it only rarely happens during more intense usage at home (using wi-fi).

Please advise on how to diagnose this problem. Thank you.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Try replacing your battery. After three years, it's most likely shot.

Mikemenn

Dec 28, 2017
I had this same problem, too, with a 2 year old tableT and tried everything on the internet I could find.
Thinking it was a battery problem, I took it to a local we-fix-it place and that was not it.

Eventually went through Samsung to get it fixed (out of warranty, $218 max on fixing it.)
Shipped it to them (price included). They returned it "fixed" saying it was a loose battery cable. It was not as the "reboot" happened right out of the box.

Now that it was "fixed", it was under a warranty. Promptly called them, sent back, included a detailed note not to "trust their quality control team as the reboot problem could go along time and not happen and need, sometimes, to run a few programs to see it happen."

Finally returned fixed. Notes state they had replace the motherboard. (what it actually said was "SVC PBA-PBA MAIN (XAR); SM-T800,-,SVC,M32").

So this is a motherboard problem according to my repair and issue. Guess it was cheaper than buying a new tablet. And I do like the Tab S 10.5. So glad I did it.