Saw Kindle Review, Need to RANT!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I just read an early review on the Kindle Fire at CNN:

Review: Kindle Fire a worthwhile bargain - CNN.com

As a Transformer owner, the comment that has me fuming is:

Still, the Kindle Fire is a good Wi-Fi tablet, and the price is fantastic. After testing the device this week, I found the Kindle Fire is the most impressive iPad rival among the dozens of tablets that have flooded the market this year. Other iPad competitors have not sold well, but the new Kindle will likely have a different fate.

Excuse me for screaming, but WWWWWWWHHHHHHHAAAATTTTT??????? :mad: "The most impressive..."???? Are you kidding me? Have you even HEARD of the Transformer???

Sheesh. Someone please give this guy $400 and better judgment.

-Matt

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Must be the only tablet the reviewer has ever used besides an iPad and doesn't realize that there are plenty or iPad rivals among the tablets already out. Although no single tablet currently out may be an iPad killer, certainly many of them are Kindle Fire killers!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm turning into quite the cyber-bully! A few weeks ago, a CNN contributor posted a Fire preview, and claimed that it was (OMG, deep breath Matt)...

...SEVEN INCHES LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a few back-and-forth emails, I finally gave up. They wouldn't acknowledge that tablets (as are dozens of other devices) are measured by DIAGONAL screen size, not length of the entire device (including bezel) itself.

Really JP you and I need to quit our day jobs and write gadget reviews full-time! I'm amazed and disappointed that some reviewers spend a short afternoon demoing a device and then try to write comprehensive, informed (but ultimately misleading) descriptions.

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ha ha, I feel the same way. Sometimes I wonder if they even spend a short afternoon with the device or just parrot other things they have heard about the device or (mis)read in the press release!

Jun 29, 2011
Probably an ipad owner wrote it. These are the same sheep that about died when ios5 came out with its "awe inspiring changes"
They do have a point though. In sheer numbers of units that will sell, the Fire is the only potential competition as of now. Bean counters think differently than most of us.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I really can't believe that someone would write something like that, if they honestly have reviewed ANY other major Android tablets for any significant amount of time. That review screams misinformation. Either the author is overblowing the bugs/lag in Honeycomb, or they really haven't spent that much time with any other tab. Even Amazon's app ecosystem isn't as good as Google's!

If the writer is only considering sales, then maybe; but ASUS made pretty good cash with the original Transformer, even though it was pretty thick. Now, with the Prime, it's going to go sky-high.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I'm turning into quite the cyber-bully! A few weeks ago, a CNN contributor posted a Fire preview, and claimed that it was (OMG, deep breath Matt)...

...SEVEN INCHES LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a few back-and-forth emails, I finally gave up. They wouldn't acknowledge that tablets (as are dozens of other devices) are measured by DIAGONAL screen size, not length of the entire device (including bezel) itself.

Really JP you and I need to quit our day jobs and write gadget reviews full-time! I'm amazed and disappointed that some reviewers spend a short afternoon demoing a device and then try to write comprehensive, informed (but ultimately misleading) descriptions.

-Matt

He w as probably thinking of something else while writing the review!
Gloria
Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum