Screen Contrast Adjust Impossible?

Deusdat

Jun 12, 2020
I just bought a tablet (Huawei Mediapad T5), it works fine, great display, great colours, great contrast... Too great sometimes. Many videos and pictures on the web suffer from this huge contrast, dark areas are too dark and one can't tell the details. Lowering brightness is useless.
But there's no way to reduce the contrast! On laptops you can, on Android devices you cannot??
I've googled the issue and found nothing. Really? No one else is bothered by this?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You won't find anything either. What you're seeing on your screen is something called "black crush", where the black point has been set too high, causing loss of detail as dark grays and near blacks are rendered on screen as black. While most frequently discussed with Android, I'm fairly sure iOS for smartphones deals with this as well, as Apple doesn't manufacture their own screens. The entire reason this occurs is manufacturers trying to approximate the saturated colors found on Samsung devices while using an IPS LCD. Samsung uses OLED, which functions differently.

Unfortunately, unless you have a Samsung tablet there's no way to adjust this now as it's part of this particular screen's specifications. The only real thing you can do is complain to Huawei and encourage them to change the black levels on their next device.

Deusdat

Jun 12, 2020
Thanks, I get it. Still, it seems natural to me that a tablet or a smartphone, just like any laptop or TV, should have some kind of circuit that determines the contrast level, not just the brightness. Since image processing is done by a GPU, I expected that some piece of software could adjust contrast. And color too.

EricaR

Aug 4, 2020
Once I serached play store for such an issue on my device..I found several apps at the moment.. I hope Google play will be helpful for you in this case