sd card questions

netopalis45

Oct 2, 2011
I recently purchased the Acer a500 tablet and have noticed that it seems to be emulating an SD card without having one. In the /mnt folder I get a folder for the SD card with an icon and a folder called external_sd with a normal folder icon. Is this normal? Can I change it?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It is normal for all Honeycomb tablets, you can't change it, and you don't want to.

Use what you have for a while before you start redesigning it.
If you want additional storage go buy and install a microsd card and it will show up in external_sd directory.

dipsy14eva

Sep 11, 2011
My MID epad android 2.2 has refused to boot,I have only used it for few days,anyone with any useful information to fix it pls?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My MID epad android 2.2 has refused to boot,I have only used it for few days,anyone with any useful information to fix it pls?

WRONG forum. This is the ACER forum.

dipsy14eva

Sep 11, 2011
I know its the wrong forum icebike,just thought i ask in this forum as well in case anyone have a solution to this problem as I can't get around it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I know its the wrong forum icebike,just thought i ask in this forum as well in case anyone have a solution to this problem as I can't get around it.

Well in addition to being the wrong forum, you hijacked a thread, an obscure thread at that.
So you can't expect much help. Nobody here knows about your device.

dipsy14eva

Sep 11, 2011
Wot do u mean by I hijacked a thread? I don't understand wot ur talking about

drobbins

Oct 2, 2011
netopalis45

not much help are they?
I just got my iconia tab yesterday
I think what we are seeing is under both the root (top) directory and under /mnt is "sdcard" which is the internal storage the machine has
under /mnt I also see "external_sd" which is where I suspect an addon card will show up
I have one ordered but it won't show up till Tuesday
seems like a neat gadget so far
lots to learn though

Dave

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
Wot do u mean by I hijacked a thread? I don't understand wot ur talking about

Hijacking means that you take over a thread and take it a place the Original Poster (OP) did not intend it to go. It means you may or may not get an answer, but it will help no one else here, since they will not look here. And any energy expended with you, will not help the OP.

If you ask the question in the right group, you might get the right answer, in a timely fashion, and you might not have to listen to people that are upset because you don't know the rules of any forum like this.

Ask yourself how you would feel if you started your own thread asking for help, and some one asked a completely different question on your thread, and people stopped helping you, and started helping them?

netopalis45

Oct 2, 2011
My biggest problem is that it refuses to mount the SD card while trying to boot a custom ROM. I think if the /mnt/SDcard folder was actually the SD card it would work instead of it being some sort of internal memory.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Wait, you just got it and you are already trying to install a custom rom?
And you have done no research on how to do this?

Please!
Slow down and do some research. This will lead to nothing but tears.
Go buy a small Microsd card. Read the guides on how to do what you want, and make sure they are written for Honeycomb and are Acer specific.

netopalis45

Oct 2, 2011
I have experience with rooting and installing ROMs already. I have read the directions on how to do it for the a500 (they all seem to be the same) and know what I am doing. My problem is the card.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If your problm is the card then fix the card, don't start by asking if you can change the file system in Honeycomb.

Your experience does not seem all that great if you start by asking if you can restructure the file system.
Was that mentioned in any of the guides you supposedly read?

I hate go be blunt here, but you need to read thd guides more carefully. I'm trying to save you some headaches here.

dipsy14eva

Sep 11, 2011
Thanks dzlc,now I understand what icebike means and icebike,am not trying to hijack ur thread,was juat looking for help and like u rightly said am new on here. Thanks for ur time and help anyways.