Skyfire has decided to stop working, please help!

CheerfulLuke

Oct 24, 2011
Howdy!

I've been using my Sony tablet for about a month now and today, I can no longer open Skyfire (it just pops up the force close message). I initially tried power cycle, then uninstall (from the market), then uninstall from settings along with deleting the folder that had been created and nothing seems to work (power cycling inbetween for good measure). This is my first android device so I'm a little new to this but am pretty tech literate. I appreciate any help that could get me going again!

Running 3.2.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I am not real tech-literate but have Skyfire on a couple devices. I have had a couple problems with it too. Are you still having problems, or was it temporary? Hope it is only temporary as it is my favorite browser.

evaddnomaid

Nov 12, 2011
Hi Luke,

Were there any changes in your device? For example, did you do an OS upgrade? Or remove any of the default software?

Is Skyfire installed on the device's native storage, or on an SD card? Does it help if you change where Skyfire is installed (move it to the SD card, or vice-versa)?

- Dave, Skyfire community manager

CheerfulLuke

Oct 24, 2011
I can't think of anything that I did which would have altered the device properties. I got the 3.2 update the day I bought it and downloaded skyfire a few days later. I didn't remove any default SW between it working and not. The only thing that might have changed was the market version, I updated the market app to 3.3.1.1 based on a posting on xdadevelopers forum (perhaps not my smartest move but seems to work great and I've had no issues, it even provided portrait support which I was happy about)...

I had it installed in both the tablet main mem and also tried moving it to the SD. Now all I get are the force close messages either way. When it was working before, it was just in the main mem and I only tried to move it once it stopped working.

I even tried not using my market app and going to the google android market webpage and downloading that way, just in case I screwed something up on the market app.

Pretty confused... I truly appreciate any help.

evaddnomaid

Nov 12, 2011
Thanks Luke. Some other users who have found that Skyfire suddenly stops working after having worked well for a week or more report that the problem in the end was their phone. After getting a replacement or repair Skyfire works again. (Typically these users report similar problems with other apps as well).

Is it possible that the market app update replaced some libraries that Skyfire counts on? Would it be possible to (temporarily) go back to the system default version of Market?

Another thing to try might be resetting the phone to factory defaults. This could address any OS-related issues the phone might have that are not easy to spot.

- Dave