Surprising New Android 4.3.1 Update Quietly Rolls Out to Nexus 7 (2013) Models

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
android-jellybean-431.jpg

It looks like Google decided to be a bit stealthy regarding a new Android 4.3.1 update. They quietly began rolling out the new minor update to Android Jelly Bean early this morning. The update hit the new Nexus 7 2013 Edition much to the happy surprise of users. The update is JLS36I and clocks in at a little over 9MB. So far it's tough to find anything different, so the current speculation is that it is designed to offer tweaks and bug fixes and nothing more.

Sound off if you notice anything obviously different.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Has anyone here actually received this update? My N7 2013 is currently showing "Your system is up to date." with JSS15R.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Currently, customers have only reported receiving the Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean software update for the new Nexus 7 LTE. And, no other Android devices have received the update.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
android-jellybean-431.jpg

It looks like Google decided to be a bit stealthy regarding a new Android 4.3.1 update. They quietly began rolling out the new minor update to Android Jelly Bean early this morning. The update hit the new Nexus 7 2013 Edition much to the happy surprise of users. The update is JLS36I and clocks in at a little over 9MB. So far it's tough to find anything different, so the current speculation is that it is designed to offer tweaks and bug fixes and nothing more.

Sound off if you notice anything obviously different.

The changelog of Android 4.3.1 indicates that the update brings performance and stability improvements for the Nexus 7 tablet. Moreover, it also mentions the inclusion of “restricted profiles,” while will allow users to limit the access their family members have to apps and content on their tablet. The restricted profiles mode can also be used to secure a tablet in a kiosk setting. Google Keep comes bundled with the update. It is essentially a note taking app which is already available for download through the Google Play Store. Notes can be color coded to make them easier to spot, the home screen widget ensures that taking a quick note is never more than a tap away.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Currently, customers have only reported receiving the Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean software update for the new Nexus 7 LTE. And, no other Android devices have received the update.

Glad to hear that, I was thinking I had a problem. Still nothing on mine.:(

Google Keep comes bundled with the update. It is essentially a note taking app which is already available for download through the Google Play Store. Notes can be color coded to make them easier to spot, the home screen widget ensures that taking a quick note is never more than a tap away.

Mine has Google Keep. Not sure if it came with it or it appeared when I updated it to 4.3.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Mine has Google Keep. Not sure if it came with it or it appeared when I updated it to 4.3.

How could you you not be sure about Google Keep! I think it's a marvelous little note-taking app. Congratulations to Google on their continuing efforts at convergence. It's not perfect yet, but I'm sure, it will give Evernote a run for its money in the near future.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It updated to 4.3 within minutes of being first turned on.:D