Tablet apps in google market place only work on Honeycomb tablets?

techboy52

Jan 8, 2011
I tried several tablet apps only to find that none of them were available for my Archos 101. If this is the case Google has just screwed it customer base once again! How do they expect to surpass apple with such a huge fragmented market? And while I'm at it why are there still so few tablet apps to begin with? Hasn't Google learned that software drives the hardware?

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
I'm not sure how you can blame Google for Archos's shortcomings or failures. Why is Google obligated to make sure their software works a particular piece of hardware? Arent the Honeycomb standards made by Google so manufacturers have something to design their hardware for?

EDIT:
Hold on a second. First off, it would appear the Archos 101 is running Android 2.2, not Honeycomb. So you shouldnt even expect to see tablet specific apps for it. The whole point of making the Honeycomb operating system was to have something specifically designed to work with tablets. Phones will never be getting it. Its not an upgrade (despite the fact they chose to call it 3.0) its a separate line of OS's for a separate line of hardware. You should be grateful anyone even bothered to make tablet specific apps for Android 2.
Android 2 was never designed for tablet use to begin with. It was companies like Archos that chose to shove it on anyway just to make a quick buck from the Android bandwagon. 3.0 was designed to finally make those tablets operate properly. Unfortunately its unlikely any manufacturer will bother pushing 3.0 updates to their devices. They will probably just design a new line of more expensive hardware and new purchases will be the only way anyone can take advantage of Honeycomb, even people with fast dual core tablets and lots of RAM will be left behind, simply cuz they got their devices too early.

Also, it seems that Archos once again chose to block the official Android Marketplace and force people to use their limited App store. Again you should not expect to see much in the way of apps if Google or other people cant even get their stuff displayed on a closed system.

Last edited:

techboy52

Jan 8, 2011
Did Archos close there hardware or did Google deny them the use of the official app store because they were selling a wi-fi only tablet ? As I see it the issue is not just with Archos but with all non honeycomb tablets. For all of us who have been waiting for tablet apps it is very disappointing to see that non honeycomb tablets will be left out in the cold.

Tablet apps did not need honeycomb or dual core processors. There were a hand full of games that ran full screen, in high resolution with no issues on 2.2 froyo. What was needed was the desire to do it! I recall reading that the lack of apps and games on the android side of things was due to poor sales and support not coding issues or hardware. If I remember correctly the ratio of apps purchases apple vs. Android was 4 to 1 apple! In short developers could lnot and probably still can not make significant returns on there investment developing apps and games for android because android users simply do not buy enough apps to make it worth while!

I own both and ipad and Archos 101 so I am familiar with both sides of the argument and because I own both I see the strengths and the short coming of both platforms. Google and all the manufacturers that support the platform will never and I mean over take Apple until the figure out these 3 things:

1. Figure out how to sell the product! Right now as I speak I can go to any BestBuy store and find exactly 1 Motorola Xoom, 1 Dell Streak, 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab in stores with no network access with the devices turned off with cardboard displays on there screens. On the other hand I can go to an Apple store and try dozens of ipads in every detail for as long as choose to make an informed decision with no hassle with every feature fully functioning. The experiences are polar opposites! It is a wonder that android tablets sell at all! They don’t understand what specs to feature, what’s most important to a tablet buyer and how to integrate tablets into the lives of the average person. Apple has done a tremendous job showing what tablets and apps can do to enhance your life! Google and its partners have done absolutely nothing but to say they have the next ipad killer!

2. Tablets tied to 2 year data plans are doomed to fail. No one wants another data plan bill when they already have phones or mobile hot spots that can provide network access! No One Wants This! Until you wake up and realize that wi-fi only tablets are the way to go you will forever be losers! The truth be told is this. While Apple offers six different tablet configurations the only ones that sell are the 16 and 32 gig wi-fi models. The rest of them are all for show! If you want to be successful you are going to have to sell a wi-fi only model for around $350 to $399. You don’t have Apples loyal fan base preaching the Apple gospel so you’re not going to move product like they do! The general public does not know your product or trust your product. You need to beat them with price not features!

3. The last one is simple. Software drives hardware. If there is one thing Apple learned from the Apple Microsoft OS wars is that nice hardware with no software means no interest and no sales! Google clearly does not understand this! Google seems to believe that fragmenting its user base is some how helpful. Until the Google market place provides a viable way to transform your tablet into anything you want it to be it will always be a loser! Apps, games and productivity software are the things that makes tablets fit into our daily lives, with out them tablets are just an expensive, needless toy!

Here is one last thing. Android tablets need to be more user friendly! Make your product for the general, non tech/spec educated public not for android nerds. Forget about root friendly make it simple to use and easy to understand. The one thing that I hear most often about ipads is just how easy it is for young children to use. I not saying you would want a 5 year old using your ipad but I find it remarkable that they can. It speaks to the level of understanding Apple has with regards to how intuitive a device needs to be.

Done………….

Last edited: