Tablets Are Too Small

Driver8

Mar 4, 2011
Some claim 24.64 cm (9.7") is the optimal tablet screen size. Maybe I'm a freak, but I want a tablet to fit a letter-sized sheet on a screen with space to spare (an A4 sized sheet would be optimal, for more universality). Essentially, I expect a tablet device to enable me to see the equivalent of a typical business document page on a screen.

I don't get why no one has gravitated to this as a default.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Take the standard margins off most pages, and you have more than enough room. As far as "standard" documents, not sure what you mean. There is a "standard" for business, for law, for medicine, for journalism, for academics...and the list goes on. Somebody somewhere will always feel that their standard is not being met.

kenzeler

Feb 25, 2011
For now the "default" is 9-10 inch. In a few years (maybe months) the default size will change.

Besides, who claims 9.7 inch is the default size? Apple?

tabletguy

Dec 7, 2010
Some claim 24.64 cm (9.7") is the optimal tablet screen size. Maybe I'm a freak, but I want a tablet to fit a letter-sized sheet on a screen with space to spare (an A4 sized sheet would be optimal, for more universality). Essentially, I expect a tablet device to enable me to see the equivalent of a typical business document page on a screen.

I don't get why no one has gravitated to this as a default.

well there are larger, "tablets" that will do what you need but they are more like the size of a laptop.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
At some point an "ideal" sized tablet will show itself. But there will always be variants depending on user and use. My Droid X is basically a tablet with a 4.3 screen. In fact, it is damn near better than any tablet on the market up until recently with how well it works overall. But it's still too small to be considered a tab. I myself am not even sure what my ideal size for a tab is. 7" is much better for portability, but then I also have the wish for my tab to be my laptop replacement. If that's the case, 10" is probably better. But IMHO android tabs aren't quite good enough to replace my $500 hp 15.6 laptop I am typing on for my uses. So I'm back to square one.... which is 7". In other words, a bigger smartphone.