The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

voltari

Aug 3, 2012
I am looking for a tablet, preferably a 10" screen (though size isn't an issue). No camera at all on the device, as well as the ability to have a wired ethernet connection. Weird request, I am sure, but I just wanted to know if there was anything like that out there.

Currently residing in the US, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

dlbott

Aug 4, 2012
Hi all, great site, love it... I am looking for the best all around and least expensive tablets to hack. I suffer allot of pain and using heavy laptop around the house all the time gets painful. I am thinking a ten inch would be better for the size of the screen but you guys would have to tell me if it is that much of a difference. I want something that is easily hackable, would love something could even play around with linux on etc. I would like to load up on cool apps, good internet browsing, big on avi movies so playing those well is a must and would be nice if it had hdmi out.. guess usb would be good.. can you print from tablets over wifi on your network, always wondered about that. Seen allot of really cheap chinese tablets out there but thought surely that must be just what they are, cheap tablet... but i will depend on you great folks for knowledge about that.

I understand nook color can be hacked, but not sure if that means it will do what I would like or not. I think tegra 2 probly gonna be too expensive, not sure. would love the asus tf300 with the quad core, i bet it blazes, not sure it would need hacked or is hackable. I just thought something you could port to linux or run other OS on or upgrade to other android apps etc. would really be kewl and fun.

Well I look forward to your help and being part of this community... hope to find something useful, fun, and able to do great stuff...... thanks don

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Hello Don, take a look at the viewsonic gtablet. Its a tegra 2 chipset and has a lot of development work. Its an older tablet now circa 2010, but can still be found. There is a lot of information here about it. Also look at the gtablet section on slatedroid. Its popularity seems to be winding down, however it is a great tablet to play around on.

The big manufacturer tabs are a great experience out of the box, but come with a heftier price tag. The Thrive, Acer A500, Xoom, and Asus Transformer are all great tabs and are now a year old so they are a bit cheaper. Great thing about android is all the options. I like the 10 inch tabs as you can probably tell from my post. My final piece of advice is take your tume and do lots of reading before you pick up a tablet.

Happy Tabbing!

sent from my Thrive

dlbott

Aug 4, 2012
Yea, my mouth waters at the quad core asus, kinda dissapointed it does not have usb port though, think that was stupid on there part. so, are those you mentioned ten inch tabs and i assume since they are old they are hacked... can you run different OS on them, honestly, i would love a great enexpensive ten inch tablet that i could easily boot, or dual boot into linux or android, i think running linux on a tab might be really cool and should run awesome and have computer power, also i think android 4 plus has so many apps it would be forever to play with em all. Let me know which might do this and how much are they since they are older.. do you know... i guess i'll be lookin at ebay, there is so many cheap chinese one's on there... just want a good ten incher that i can run different things on and have fun...

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I've seen a booting version of linux for the gtab posted on slatedroid, the thrive doesnt have a whole lot of options as it isnt the most popular tablet ever. As for the A500, Xoom, or the Asus Transformer, I'm not sure whats been done in regards to a linux boot on those tabs as I havent owned nor followed the rom development of those tabs. I think the gtab is running around 150 used on amazon and the others around 250. I mentioned older tabs as the tegra 2 devices run well and are at a good price.

Lots to look at, thats for sure.

sent from my Thrive

dlbott

Aug 4, 2012
I've seen a booting version of linux for the gtab posted on slatedroid, the thrive doesnt have a whole lot of options as it isnt the most popular tablet ever. As for the A500, Xoom, or the Asus Transformer, I'm not sure whats been done in regards to a linux boot on those tabs as I havent owned nor followed the rom development of those tabs. I think the gtab is running around 150 used on amazon and the others around 250. I mentioned older tabs as the tegra 2 devices run well and are at a good price.

Lots to look at, thats for sure.

sent from my Thrive

Yea, I am leery of a used tab, but the qaundry is budget almost demands it unless I buy a chinese tab, or a 7 inch. My eye sight demands I get 10 inch, I understand I will probably not be able to get ten inch with phone capabilities, least not in cheap budget. I don't understand the chinese market, I am registered on alibaba and could use that express to buy one relatively cheap. Been leery since money is very scarce, lol. What do you know about the ten inch chinese market, are they all made by the same company. I see allot of allwinner, and flytouch, and zenithink. Does anyone know about these, which is best, and which can be rommed and might even run linux. I thank everyone for their tremendous patience and wonderful help. This is a big purchase for me, even though it seems small price to some, I need to stay under 200 and I see allot of chinese ten inch for 150 range.

thanks for help, will consider any you guys recommend that can be rommed and may run linux, thanx for help, really want a new tab so I don't have to worry about it dying quickly.

don

p.s. sorry for spelling and grammar, net has made me really lazy, lol... oh and I believe the gtab is galaxy, right, I think it is out of reach for me, at least in a ten inch, does it even come in one. Is there even a ten inch tab that can take a sim card and works as a phone too. I doubt one in my range, I think I am gonna be stuck with a chinese one. Any help appreciated, for all I know the ones I mentioned are all made by the same company.

Last edited:

endless

Aug 8, 2012
Hello there Everyone

I would like to buy an affordable basic tablets in the range of 150 or less I have been looking
through the chinese tablets and I am not sure if they are good enough or should I buy one of them

Use: e-books, maybe some comics, reading news/browsing, not mainly for gaming but casual games would be cool, videos(just youtube)

concerns : battery life, something that supports upgradble firmware if there's a hardware problme

Screen Size: 7inch I guess is what fits my price range

Thanks.

Kwaifeh

Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys,
I am looking for a tablet. I have outlined the relevant information below, and I would love your input - I really don't know anything about the brands and so on.
Main uses: Reading PDFs, answering emails, some note taking.
Price range: Preferably up to 160 $ But I could go as high as 250$, for the added features I mention here.
Absolute musts: 7 Inch Multi Touch Capacitive screen, android 4 ice cream sandwich OS, SD card storage support, good contrast for reading, wi-fi.
Features it would be nice to have, but are not musts: HDMI support (for external screen connection), The ability to connect a full sized keyboard (USB/Bluetooth), The ability to watch videos (YouTube, Movies) in HD.
Don't need at all: A camera, GPS support, 3G, Phone Use, Bluetooth if there is another way to connect a keyboard.
Do you have any recommendations? Also, what do you think about the generic ones on ebay? are they worth it or should I go with a brand name?

tjn8240

Aug 11, 2012
Hello all,
I'm a college student looking for his first tablet. I usually use a Macbook Pro in school, but my battery life has become awful (About 2 hours), and I'm not so keen to spend $130 on a new battery which may extend my battery life to 4-5 hours. Therefore, I figured I would look into an Android Tablet. I don't know too much about Android so I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!

I won't be playing games on it-- it's strictly just for web searching, taking notes (therefore I would need a keyboard & accessibility to apps that can view/edit Microsoft word, ppt, and excel, and also view pdfs) and general computer stuff (YouTube, Facebook, email). I don't want any cellular connectivity on it-- Wi-Fi is perfect in this case. USB ports, Bluetooth, HDMI, Android ICS, and good battery life (At least 9 hours?) are important.
I'm willing to spend around 400-500; Also, the size of the tablet does not matter to me.
I was doing some looking on my own and I was really intrigued by Lenovo's IdeaPad S2110 Tablet (With the keyboard dock). A 32 gb tablet with the keyboard dock would be about $430 for me (due to a member discount I get-- it's originally $600)..but there are no (or barely any) reviews on that tablet.

I'd really appreciate your input. Thank you!

PabloEscobar

Aug 14, 2012
Ive just seen this thread, and had created a similar thread for my search (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-discussions/44652-tablet.html), so decided to ask here

Im getting my gran a tablet but im not sure which to get because there are SO MANY!I dont have a tablet myself so thought I could be pointed in the right direction from this forum :)

She would only be using it for streaming movies, reading books general internet browsing.

She doesnt need:
quad-core, a single core would be enough.
loads of RAM
camera of any sort (although a low resolution on the back wouldnt be a negative, just not a necessary)
doesnt have to be JB or ICS (but should be pretty responsive as it will have XBMC on)

She does need:
reletivley ok screen resolution
capacitive screen
internal 3G - she doesnt have the internet in her house, so were going to use a sim card to stream movies
Releativley cheap (£100-£130)
size should be 9" or 10" (shes old, bless her)
HDMI OUT as the tablet will be plugged into a TV for larger playback of movies

I know a fair bit about Android as ive been rooting and sticking roms/kernals on my i9300 and i9000 for several years

Thanks for any help or advice, as im sure you can understand as a non tablet owner, there are a lot to choose from and a lot of manufacturers, so im asking from help from the experts!

Last edited:

fredphoesh

Aug 19, 2012
Go for cube u30gt

DO NOT buy the cube U30GT. I have one, got it two days ago, and am returning it.
The audio quality is the worst I have heard on ANY DEVICE. Shockingly bad. Quiet and tinny. Microphone quality is poor. Wifi signal is weak, Volume rocker is badly made, some on screen gestures do not work, like Google Earth rotate does NOT work, the device gives you an electric shock when charging and if you touch another metal device.

Stay away! I am looking at Window/Yuandao/McPad N101 or the Teclast A10 as a replacement, so if anyone here has suggestions in the same price bracket, much appreciated.

Mark.

nagash

Aug 16, 2012
Hi there!
I saw that android tablet from Cambridge Sciences,and it looks good!
The model is: Android 4.0.3 G7 Wafer 7inch Tablet PC

I want to ask if anyone got it,and also I want to ask a few more things (because I want it also for other uses except reading!)

-I heard that it has good WiFi signal (despite the other tablets),is that true?
-Can you make calls with skype? (or just video calls with no sound,or even worse just skype texting?)
-Can you surf the net with it?

Any help appreciated,I'm looking for a decent tablet to read books and make skype phonecalls,and it would be better if it's kinda cheap!
Waiting impressions and comments from anyone bought this Cambridge Sciences tablet,to see if it worths the money!

Thanks in advance!

jimmy12

Aug 25, 2012
I want to upgrade to an android based tablet from my Ipod Touch 3rd gen. I've got no budget, but of course I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. I'm having a tough time finding that perfect tablet for me. Here's what I do know:
-I plan on using the tablet for general internet surfing and app’ing. I don’t plan on doing much gaming or watching hd movies on the tablet itself (would like to stream to other devices through hdmi connection though)
-I'd like ir capability (built in preferably or available separate dongle), HDMI out (multi-channel audio, 1080p video out would be nice), wifi only, a good rear facing camera, a high resolution screen
-Screen size is not a big concern, I'm fine with 7 or 10
-I have no experience with the benefits of say the tegra 3 vs. 2, android o/s 4.0 vs. 3.2 etc, so I’m having a difficult time evaluating tablets with these hardware and software differences
-It would be nice to be able to access content like hd shows or movies on the tablet, connect it to an hdmi tv/projector, and stream the content to it. I’d also like to be able to connect to a tv/projector and just project what’s on the tablet.
-A remote desktop app/functionality would be nice.
-Storage space isn’t a huge concern, 8GB or 16GB would likely be fine
-I’m located in Canada

I was looking at both the sony s and the Samsung galaxy tab 2, but both seem to have their knocks against them.

Are there other tablets or options I should be considering? Any buying advice?

alligatoruk

Aug 25, 2012
Anyone have the Ainol Novo Aurora or Aurora 2? I'm torn on which one to buy - there's a £50 price difference and the only additional items on the second version are a dual core processor (rather than single) and 16gb of internal memory rather than 8gb. Both have a slot to add a 32gb memory card.

I only want to use the tablet to take on holiday to watch (pre-downloaded) films/video, basic internet browsing and email. I'm not bothered about games, e-readers or downloading loads of apps. Will the dual processor make the Aurora 2 much faster? This is really a backup, as I have a laptop at home but I don't want to buy something substandard (even though I don't really want to spend the extra cash!).

Please no 'techie' answers - just plain English for this novice!

mike21222

Aug 25, 2012
Hello, i own four tablets but am shopping for my brother. he is looking for a couple of tablets for his 5 and 8 year old kids.
he needs them to be netflix capable and have a good variety of options available on the google play store as far as gaming. wifi is all that is needed for network. he is looking to spend between 75 and 125 each. he is not tablet or pc savvy so rooting is not an option. thanks, mike