this is going to cut into those of us who like to get library books..

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Amazon Media Room: News Release

this could be a BIG blow to us Nook owners. Most libraries are strapped for cash and having to split their digital content between two different formats and given the current Kindle/Amazon dominance, I am betting epubs are going to take a serious hit.

this makes me sad....:(

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
not sure i am seeing how it is bad - it just means more convenience as you can get the kindle app on your nook and download the books

Amazon Media Room: News Release

this could be a BIG blow to us Nook owners. Most libraries are strapped for cash and having to split their digital content between two different formats and given the current Kindle/Amazon dominance, I am betting epubs are going to take a serious hit.

this makes me sad....:(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am also not sure this is a bad thing. Although you make a good point about splitting limited resources, many libraries are already using the epub form of lending and government instituions are usually slow to change. So I wouldn't expect them to turn on a dime dropping current programs for kindle. It also doesn't specify what format the kindle books will be available in so there is a chane they won't be tied only to kindle devices.

Glass half full.

JP

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
This won't be terrible for those of us with rooted Nook's but for my family member who is not rooted or ever will be this will cut into the kinds of books the local librarys will be able to buy..Their ebook fund isn't that large to begin with. and from what I was told the kindle books use a different type format not the epub we use.. so if the library has to make a choice between ebooks for kindles and then ebooks for the rest of us. the $$$ might be divided and less purchases for epubs.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
Nah don't worry about it. Most of the librarians I talk to said that epub and pdf format are so cross compatible with so many devices now, it isn't going to change things. Kindle will most likely get current files already from Overdrive that are converted first thru the software before downloading to the Kindle. It would save them the hassle of having to deal with format headaches. At least that is the scuttlebutt I've been seeing.