WiFi 2.5G Only?

bluemoon25

Oct 24, 2016
My son has just acquired a second hand SGPT112GB/S. We seem to have some wirelsss challenges with it.

We have a dual band access point (2.5/5Ghz radios) and everything (except our Google Nest) links to the 5g radio on the AP. We recently added the AP behind our ISP router because the 5g radio in the ISP router was very unreliable and devices often fell back to the ISP 2.5g radio.....dropping performance and reliability in result.

The Nest only connects to the 2.5g radio of our ISP router but at least does this with a hidden SSID (avoiding any other device accidentally connecting to the 2.5g radio).

Bring in the Sony and suddenly the only radio it can reach is the ISP 2.5g radio and then only if we broadcast the SSID (making it possible for the rest of our house to suddenly fall back to the 2.5g radio again....which I do not want)

The 2.5g ISP radio is slow and unreliable compared to the 5g radio of the AP.

I know I can stop everything in the house accidentally hitting the ISP SSID with new passwords only available to the Nest and the Sony but can't the Sony reach a 5g radio ? If that was possible I could hide the 2.5g radio on the ISP router again and everything but the Nest would be on the 5g AP radio ?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The tablet has WiFi b, g, and n. Thus it's limited to 2.4GHz networks. Worse, you can't add a WiFi ac dongle as the tablet won't recognize it.