wtf is up with this annoying 'compass interference' message?

brandysnap

Aug 4, 2011
everything i do seemingly gives up this black square splatting itself into the centre of my screen telling me my compass has interference and i need to wave the device around like an idiot to recalibrate.

my gps is turned off. why am i still getting this annoyance?

its almost impossible to play certain games because it reappears as soon as you manage to clear it off the screen.

really, incredibly annoying. and, yeah, i am mad bro.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
The compass has nothing to do with the GPS - do you have an app running that requires the compass? Have you gone ahead and recalibrated to get rid of the message or are you just ignoring the message clearing it off the screen. BTW - I have not heard of this problem and have never had it pop up on my tab.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
looks like asus are aware of the issue and that im not alone in this happening, especially in games and google earth/maps.

Compass Interference

Thanks for that thread link. Adding it to the list of bugs/undesired new features associated with the recently pushed 3.2 update (circular cursor, browser search issues, and now compass calibration among other annoyances) that have deterred me from installing the update. As the two or three previous updates were relatvely problem free and timely, I'm banking on Asus coming through quickly with a 3.2 "bugfix" update. Until that happens, I'm holding off on 3.2.

BTW - brandysnap. Sorry you are experiencing all these post 3.2 Asus issues, as I'm pretty happy with tab's performance right up to just before that last update. It sounds to me like you are on the verge of bailing out on the whole android tab thing. In any event, I'm interesrested in how are you doing at filling up the internal memory with games and apps. Are you using up the internal memory as quickly as you anticipated? You are my memory stress test case to see how robust the Honeycomb app memory management scheme is. Though I suspect this annoying compass thing is screwing up your gaming and desire to risk investing too much in the large footprint, paid android games.

Sent from my SPH-P100

Last edited:

brandysnap

Aug 4, 2011
so far ive bought about 40 games which have mostly been pretty small 25meg+ sort of things. with the occasional 250mb game like galaxy on fire 2.
i cant get any of the uber sized gameloft or ea titles because gameloft games arent transformer compatible and ea games like need for speed shift arent available in the uk.

so at the moment the memory usage is about 4gb in total used.

ive noticed that the more icon shortcuts for apps i place on the homescreens the slower the page turning seems to get. maybe its just me though.

i find the transformer battery life to be very hit&miss, it seems that sometimes the battery will drain overnight even though the machine is asleep and youve set wifi to switch off on sleep.
last night i had 50% or so left and this morning and 4am i was awoke by a notification alert sound that my battery was at 13%
using a program i saw somewhere else called 'cpu spy' i saw that my machine had only entered deep sleep state for a very small 1hour period and had stayed at 1ghz for many hours.
another bug somewhere it seems like.

i really like the whole customization thing of android but, even though i knew there was less than ios, im very disappointed in the app store for games.

im still going to plod along with it for a while, but im not considering selling my ipad, like i originally intended , anymore.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
so far ive bought about 40 games which have mostly been pretty small 25meg+ sort of things. with the occasional 250mb game like galaxy on fire 2.
i cant get any of the uber sized gameloft or ea titles because gameloft games arent transformer compatible and ea games like need for speed shift arent available in the uk.

so at the moment the memory usage is about 4gb in total used.

ive noticed that the more icon shortcuts for apps i place on the homescreens the slower the page turning seems to get. maybe its just me though.

i find the transformer battery life to be very hit&miss, it seems that sometimes the battery will drain overnight even though the machine is asleep and youve set wifi to switch off on sleep.
last night i had 50% or so left and this morning and 4am i was awoke by a notification alert sound that my battery was at 13%
using a program i saw somewhere else called 'cpu spy' i saw that my machine had only entered deep sleep state for a very small 1hour period and had stayed at 1ghz for many hours.
another bug somewhere it seems like.

i really like the whole customization thing of android but, even though i knew there was less than ios, im very disappointed in the app store for games.

im still going to plod along with it for a while, but im not considering selling my ipad, like i originally intended , anymore.

Thanks for the update on app memory usage. I take it, regarding battery usage, you are not using the dock, so the battery drain you are experiencing is solely from the tab's inability to reliably go into deep sleep mode (vs. the known defect on some early docks to go into sleep mode)?

brandysnap

Aug 4, 2011
yes it is the vanilla transformer without the dock.

might be another 3.2 issue.

cpu spy also seems to undicate that the machine is either @ 1ghz or deep sleep, the processor doesnt seem to ever step down to the other settings. poor/bugged power management i guess.

FunkyKong

Aug 18, 2011
looks like asus are aware of the issue and that im not alone in this happening, especially in games and google earth/maps.

Compass Interference

I too have this problem super annoying when playing Roboto or Air Attack HD. Followed link from brandysnap, in there they suggest installing Compass from Market which I did then calibrate and so far problem has been resolved.

Side note: I can not paste in this reply one issue resolved for another to arise.

gump1376

Jul 31, 2011
Apparently the new firmware update fixes the compass issue several of us are experiencing from what I read at xda. The WW update, I think, will be released on the 23rd.

Mine didn't start until I updated google maps and installed google earth, but it still persisted after I rolled back the update and uninstalled google earth.

Now I'm just waiting on the update.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mallen755

Jul 30, 2011
I have this pop up about every 2 minutes when I am on a map. Touch screen & it goes away, but comes back. I hope there is an answer soon.

gump1376

Jul 31, 2011
Just received the update and the compass issue is now gone.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum