How To Get Static IP Settings To Save?

rossmcm

Jan 20, 2012
OK, I've only had it out of the box for an hour. Maybe I missed a crucial episode. My WiFi needs a static IP for reasons that are not relevant to this.

I have tried to configure my Sony Tablet S for static IP. This is what I do:
  • My network is shown under Settings/WiFi Networks
  • I tap my network and open the settings
  • the cursor is on the password field
  • I enter the password and press return
  • I tap on IP Settings and select Static instead of DHCP. As soon as I do this, the static IP fields (gateway, DNS) appear, but the "Save" button at the bottom grays out!!!
  • No matter what I enter in this dialog, I cannot get the Save button to be anything other than disabled.
  • My only option is "Cancel", after which of course, the wireless settings are unchanged, and useless.
Help.

Please.

After much thrashing and gnashing I have got somewhere. It would appear as if the "Save" button on the "Modify Network" dialog is only enabled if you are successfully connected to a wireless network with an IP address!

Here's what I had to do:

- Turn on DHCP on my router
- Disable WiFi on the tablet, then re-enable it.
- Tablet connects to WiFi, and obtains a dynamic IP address.
- Go into "Modify Network" dialog.
- Change IP settings to Static
- Key in IP address required, Gateway, DNS servers
- "Save" button is now enabled!!
- Tap Save
- Turn DHCP off in router

That's ridiculous!
I run a wireless access point on a statically addressed network - there is no DHCP server to provide a "seed" address. If what you say is right, I can never connect my tablet. Comment from someone who knows, please.

In the future, please check the date of the post you are replying to. After six years, I doubt you're going to get a reply.

Back