1GB RAM + Internal 16GB + External SD 16GB management

gongobill

Oct 2, 2011
As far as I'm concerned my Eee Pad Transformer TF101 has the following memories
1) RAM - 1GB
2) Internal 16 GB memory
3) SD Card (external) 16GB - that I added.

I do not know how the TF101 manages it's memories. Is there an APP that would allow to:
a) Transfer those transferable App's from the RAM to the internal memory
b) Transfer App's from the internal memory to the external SD card
c) Store directly files to the external SD card

Often when I download an App a message is shown telling that that App can be moved to the SD card, but I do not know how to do it.

I would appreciate to get some hints on to how deal with the questions above.

gongobill

Oct 2, 2011
Hello Spider,
Thanks for your answer.
Yes I know one App2SD (I have it installed on the pad), because I have it on my Droid Cellular Phone. There it works very well, it means I can pass those programs that allow to be transferred to the SD Card.
Unfortunately this does not happen in the Eee Pad Transformer. There are programs that clearly can be transferred to the SD Card, as Angry Birds, and when I open the App2SD in the pad and select Angry Birds the tab transfer to SD Card does not appear, in fact it does not appear to any program that I tried to transfer.

I tried to download the App 2 SD version as indicated in your link (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&feature=search_result) and resulted that it is not compatible with the ASUS Transformer TF101. Are you aware about the pad I have?

So, as you can see in my original question I would like to understand how the Eee Transformer storage scheme works; since there is no separate memory usage indications for RAM and internal memory, only a lump sum indication is given; and I do not manage to transfer Apps to the internal storage or to the external SD.

So unfortunately the hint to use the App 2 SD Free does not help me in this case and does not work for my pad. I’m still asking for help.

App 2 SD Free https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&feature=search_result is for moving the apps that can be moved from internal memory to your SD card. Not all apps can be moved however.

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
The transformer (and most Android 3.x tabs) seamlessly manage apps between RAM and internal memory which it treats like Froyo and Gingerbread phones treat an external SD card card using apps2sd. At present Android 3.x tabs do not use external SD cards for app storage only RAM and internal memory which should be sufficient because these tabs come with 16 to 32GB of internal memory. Right now the external SD cards (or flash drives or HDDs connected via USB) are intended for content (multimedia, docs, and data) storage vice app storage. Some users have installed apps to let them more actively monitor or even manage RAM and internal memory usage. It shouldn't be necessary for most users but if you feel the need for more control search this sub forum for more info.

Sent from my SPH-P100

gongobill

Oct 2, 2011
Dear vferrari,
Nice to receive a competent answer from a knowledgeable person like you (The Formula 1 Champion on Android matters...:))

I confess that I had this opinion but I got stressed by the continuous advices: "this app can be transferred to the SD card" that come when I download new App's! These messages may be useful for Smartphone’s users, but as you explained do not apply to Android 3.0 users.

Thank you for your time and congratulations for your knowledge!

The transformer (and most Android 3.x tabs) seamlessly manage apps between RAM and internal memory which it treats like Froyo and Gingerbread phones treat an external SD card card using apps2sd. At present Android 3.x tabs do not use external SD cards for app storage only RAM and internal memory which should be sufficient because these tabs come with 16 to 32GB of internal memory. Right now the external SD cards (or flash drives or HDDs connected via USB) are intended for content (multimedia, docs, and data) storage vice app storage. Some users have installed apps to let them more actively monitor or even manage RAM and internal memory usage. It shouldn't be necessary for most users but if you feel the need for more control search this sub forum for more info.

Sent from my SPH-P100

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the continuous advices/notifications for apps that can be moved to SD - are you actually getting nag messages on your Transformer notifications bar? I haven't seen that. That might be indicative of an apps2SD assistance utility (standalone or built into another utility or settings assistance app). Did you install anything like that? I may be wrong, (because I use my Galaxy Tab more frequently than my Transformer) but i don't recall that the transformer would send such notification messages on its own. You might want to check the source of the messages if they are a nuisance.

Last edited:

gongobill

Oct 2, 2011
Again you may be right vferrari,
I had two programs type apps2SD installed, which I uninstalled few minutes ago.
So I will verify if the erratic messages will stop.
You told that you use you Galaxy tab nore, can you tell me why? Is the Galaxy better than the Eee Transformer?
Thanks again.:)

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the continuous advices/notifications for apps that can be moved to SD - are you actually getting nag messages on your Transformer notifications bar? I haven't seen that. That might be indicative of an apps2SD assistance utility (standalone or built into another utility or settings assistance app). Did you install anything like that? I may be wrong, (because I use my Galaxy Tab more frequently than my Transformer) but i don't recall that the transformer would send such notification messages on its own. You might want to check the source of the messages if they are a nuisance.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Again you may be right vferrari,
I had two programs type apps2SD installed, which I uninstalled few minutes ago.
So I will verify if the erratic messages will stop.
You told that you use you Galaxy tab nore, can you tell me why? Is the Galaxy better than the Eee Transformer?
Thanks again.:)

I use the galaxy tab more as my on the go/mobile device (GPS/car entertainment system/news reader/quick games/short video feeds) because of the convenience of the 7" form factor. I use the transformer at home or on trips like used to use my netbook: web browser, posting to web forums, authoring emails and generating docs and long form video shows and movies. I use my laptop for video editing, multimedia server, and more sophistcated gaming.

Sent from my SPH-P100

gongobill

Oct 2, 2011
OK, thank you for your answer vferrari,
It'clear, as far as I can see you found a perfec balance between your different computers and tablets, very good.
Thank you again

I use the galaxy tab more as my on the go/mobile device (GPS/car entertainment system/news reader/quick games/short video feeds) because of the convenience of the 7" form factor. I use the transformer at home or on trips like used to use my netbook: web browser, posting to web forums, authoring emails and generating docs and long form video shows and movies. I use my laptop for video editing, multimedia server, and more sophistcated gaming.

Sent from my SPH-P100