A Heartfelt Thanks to Nook Ninja Faceman

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
After several hours, and numerous posts intrepid Ninja Faceman assisted me in the full recovery of my hideously borked brand new NookColor. I just wanted to thank him and this seemed appropriate.
I would also like to thank the other forum members who helped out and to offer a warning to the new comers; Go very slowly, start by doing as much research as you can, here and over at XDA, then follow posted instructions to the letter. Don't go to youtube and watch a video, read the instructions carefully and proceed with caution.
I now know that you can eventually undo any damage that is incurred. But is was a rather hard lesson to learn.
So thanks again Faceman, and as Randy sings "You've got a friend in ME":cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

adnilasor

Oct 19, 2010
< +1

Edit: Thanks to all the forum members who contribute.

Sent from my Dx using Android Tablet Forum App

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Good I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am currently reading up on flashing to nookie froyo. I am not in any hurry obviously. If you have any tips and or tricks for me from here on out let me know I am all ears. And thanks for putting that post on the original thread. I am fairly certain if anyone has issues I can probably walk them through the full monty of recovery with my eyes closed, my thumbs broken and typing with a peacock feather clenched in my teeth. I'm just sayin'...

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I know how ya feel... this is also the point where you begin to feel confident that you can overcome any issue and then the technology hits you with a different twitch that has nothing to do with what you've already learned. :)

Advice for FroYo? Yes, the one and only piece of advice you need. Keep it on the SD! Seriously, don't flash anything to the emmc yet, nothing is stable enough to make it worth the hassle. You want to know how I know if something is stable enough to put it into my internal memory? --> When Cyanogen and crew post a release... that's when. If you don't know the CM folks, I'll introduce you to them at some point or just do a google for cyanogenmod.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I was actually thinking the same thing as far as froyo. This has every thing I need and more. I will wait until there is a stable RC of CM7 for the Nook to flash to internal, same goes for HC.
I don't "know" the guys on Cyanogen. I am a member and have been since before I got my Aria last summer. I have been running their roms since I rooted my Aria and honestly wouldn't switch if someone paid me. I have a few posts and everyone over there was always incredibly helpful if I ever had any problems. I also helped out when I could but the community over there is little more OK Corral than I am really up for. I am by nature something of a lurker and I mean that in the best possible way. I post if I have an issue or if I think I can help. But for the most part I just try to use them as repositories of info(XDA) and when the excrement encounters the oscillator I hope for some fine individual such as yourself to reach out through the ether with a well trained bionic claw and help me reverse my nefarious doings.
Whew! sorry I can wax a little florid and rhapsodic from time to time. So I am going to stick with my stock rooted Nook for now. One question is the oc kernal available for my nook as it stands right now. I wasn't sure if I need to have Froyo or what. Also I found a thread about "removing cell standby" its a script or some such. If you have any info/insight that would be great. I really want the oc kernal. Faster processor and better battery. Uh yeah gimme some of that.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
DSC_0034.JPG

BTW this is what was staring at me when I wasn't staring at the cold blank screen of my NC. So now that the NC is fixed and all I want to do is play with it... well lets just say I have a few other things to get straightened out. Tee Hee! It's not really as bad as it looks there are actually two working pcs in there and parts for another.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yea you are good to go with the OC kernel, just follow Rico's thread that's stickied in teh Technical section. I have been running the 1.1 kernel for two weeks so far and no issues at all.

I have Cm6 on my G1 and also wouldn't switch at all. However, I don't think anything better is coming my aged G1... MyTouch Slide in my future maybe? (only if santa brings me one)

And the thread about the Remove Cell standby script has been proven false, don't bother. No effect.