Access files on external flash drive or card reader

scarcione

Jan 13, 2012
When considering buying the xyboard, I read that the decision not to include an external SD card slot (unlike on the XOOM) would not be a big problem since you could connect a flash drive or an SD card reader using the micro USB port and access the files from that port.

So I bought a USB micro b to USB cable, plugged it into the micro USB port on the xyboard, attached a Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive to the cable, heard the connection ringtone and saw the USB Flash Drive listed in the notifications section (touch to unmount for safe removal).

I started ASTRO File Manager expecting to see the flash drive listed but it was not. Asked a Motorola chat help tech and was told that it is not possible to access any files on external media directly through the tablet's usb port.

I have seen several reviews (and comments) that says that you can access those files using a file manager. Has anyone been successful doing that? If so, is there a specific file manager I need to get to be able to access an external flash drive or SD card?

scarcione

Jan 13, 2012
After 228 views with no reply and a visit to the local Verizon Wireless store, I went a googling for an answer to my question. And I found one!!!

Motorola Droid XYBoard 10.1 Review - Android Tablet Reviews by MobileTechReview

Taking their lead, I downloaded File Manager HD from the Market, plugged in my USB cable with Sandisk Cruzer flash drive attached (a sound plays when it is ready for use). Next I pulled up File Manager HD, touched the storage link on the upper left side and voila! at the bottom of the list were the files on the flash drive. I touched on one of the video files (in wmv format) on the flash drive and it played with no problems. An mp3 audio file played with no problem as did an mp4 video file. But flv video and mpeg video could not be played.

Don't forget to tough the notifications area and then touch to unmount the flash drive before disconnecting.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for letting us know how you resolved this. I think it probably will be helpful to others. BTW About 220 of those viewers couldn't answer if they wanted to because they're not forum members. It's not hard to believe the 8 or so members who viewed the thread didn't know the answer. Point being, don't think your questions were being ignored. We really do like you.:eek:

kmenchac78

Feb 22, 2012
After 228 views with no reply and a visit to the local Verizon Wireless store, I went a googling for an answer to my question. And I found one!!!

Motorola Droid XYBoard 10.1 Review - Android Tablet Reviews by MobileTechReview

Taking their lead, I downloaded File Manager HD from the Market, plugged in my USB cable with Sandisk Cruzer flash drive attached (a sound plays when it is ready for use). Next I pulled up File Manager HD, touched the storage link on the upper left side and voila! at the bottom of the list were the files on the flash drive. I touched on one of the video files (in wmv format) on the flash drive and it played with no problems. An mp3 audio file played with no problem as did an mp4 video file. But flv video and mpeg video could not be played.

Don't forget to tough the notifications area and then touch to unmount the flash drive before disconnecting.

Hope this is helpful.

What cable did you use to connect the flash drive... the one that i have that came with the xyboard has a male end, i would need a micro b - female usb cable right? I purchased a adapter (female on both ends) and connected my flash drive that way but the xyboard did not see it, meaning i heard no noise when i plugged in.