accessing Windows 7 PC via wireless home network

si986

Apr 14, 2012
Hi all

I'm trying to connect my tablet wirelessly to my Windows 7 PC via the home network. I think the obvious way to do this on my archos tab is to use the 'Files' app. I can select my network and shared folders which brings up my home network 'WORKGROUP' under media servers. When I go into this it has my PC's name but when i try to access this it asks for a username and password.

I don't use passwords on my PC so I have no idea what this is - leaving it blank doesn't work, nor does entering one of the usernames and leaving the password blank.

I've trawled through various forums, help files and so on but can't get anywhere.

If anyone has any suggestions it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Si

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
i'd like to know why the inbuilt app is asking for the password

The XP Mode on my W7 X64 system does that too. If I leave the password field blank it doesn't work, but if I type 1 blank into the field and hit enter it works. Drove me crazy till I figured that one out. Might work for you too.:confused:

si986

Apr 14, 2012
The XP Mode on my W7 X64 system does that too. If I leave the password field blank it doesn't work, but if I type 1 blank into the field and hit enter it works. Drove me crazy till I figured that one out. Might work for you too.:confused:

no such luck unfortunately.

i'm guessing that the username and password the tab is asking for when i try to connect is some obscure setting on the PC. i've tried getting another file management app in (es file explorer) which finds the computer using its ip address. when i go to access it it again asks for the username and password...

si986

Apr 14, 2012
For the benefit of anyone else looking for an answer:

I mentioned the problem to a friend of mine and he suggested setting up an extra login on the PC, but with a password, for the tablet to access the PC through. After rebooting both tab and PC and using the new login and password it's all working!

Thanks anyway to those who offered something constructive.

Si