Acer Clock Widget & Music A force close?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I keep getting a pop, about every 15 min, that my Acer Clock Widget and MusicA have stopped working and I'm asked to force close.

Anyone else having this issue.

On a recommendation, I installed a Task Killer and then read a bunch of nasty stuff about them, so I uninstalled did. Did I miss a step? I've heard sometimes they don't fully uninstall.

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Did this happen before you installed the task killer?

Maybe that task killer is still running?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Not on these 2 and nor as often. I'd get the random force close on the app I was using before.
How do I stop it from running if I've uninstalled it?
Thanks.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
According to Acer, I have to reset my tablet to factory to make this problem go away.

I have no real idea on how to backup my data. I'm getting an sd card for my personal data, but what about the apps?
Can I move those to the sd card too?
In my settings, it says my stuff is being backed up on Goggle servers, is there a way to get it from there?
What about AcerSync? I tried using it and it said that it backed up 2 things, which 2 I have no idea. I couldn't find them on my hard drive and I couldn't figure out how to see what was on the Google servers.

Also, I'm assuming non-market apps are OK as long as I get them backed up. I have 3 apps ( Stargate SG1 Soundboard, Tricorder and Transformers Jigsaw Puzzle) that me and the kids love. If nothing else, I want to make sure I can save those.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Can anyone tell me what an odex file typs is?
I was playing with my Astro and I think I found my app folder. The 2 apps that have been gining me trouble had both a version and this other type that when I tabbed said "File type odex not found".
Can I delete this and if so, would it make my force close issue go away?
Thanks.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
WHAT IS AN ODEX FILE?
In Android file system, applications come in packages with the extension .apk. These application packages, or APKs contain certain .odex files whose supposed function is to save space. These ‘odex’ files are actually collections of parts of an application that are optimized before booting. Doing so the boot process, as it preloads part of an application. On the other hand, it also makes hacking those applications difficult because a part of the coding has already been extracted to another location before execution.

What Is Odex And Deodex In Android [Complete Guide]

Last edited:

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
OK, thanks. I kinda understood that. I'm just going to leave them alone to be safe ;-)

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
OK, not to be a PITA, but can I get a few questions answered? (Factory reset scares me for some reason).

1 - Would my force close problem be fixed with the 3.2? I use double checked and I do not use either of these apps. I can't even find MusicA in the market. If this would be fixed by the update, I thin kI can wait another week or two.

2 - Icebike had made a comment about data and updated in another thread. Will my personal data be affected by the 3.2 update? I might be misunderstand the comment, but want to be sure. My microSD is coming today. I just want to make sure I cover everything if needed.

3 - What's the best way to back up my apps and their data? I was under the impression that either ES File Explorer or Titanium Back Up could back up my apps and their data. Do they back them up on the SD card or a server?

And a question that may be for another thread, is there a way to take an "image" of your tablet, for lack of a better term?
While trying to do some research, I noticed that you can't get an official copy of the Android OS from anywhere (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). I learned from the really stupid things I've done to my laptap that it's always good to have an image on hand. The other reason I was thinking of this is if I have to do a factory reset again (I know me) after the 3.2 update, I'm assuming it will revert to 3.1 (that's what my tablet came with).

I could be completely misunderstanding the whole process.

Thanks bundles for all your help.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I keep getting a pop, about every 15 min, that my Acer Clock Widget and MusicA have stopped working and I'm asked to force close.

These are both stock apps which you won't find in the market.

Go to Settings
Applications
Manage Applications
All
Scroll down till you find Music A
Tap stop
Tap clear Data.

It should not bother you again. However, if you have selected it to appear as a widget on one of your pages, it MIGHT will try to reload each time you reboot. So look around for widgets on your desktop.

Same procedure for Acer Clock.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
That seems to have brought me 5 hours of peace. No intentional widget and nothing on the desktop.
I've been playing with ES File Manager.
Is there a way to change the file path for the app back up to the external sd?

I'm not taking any chances if I need to do a factory reset.

Thanks again

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
ES file manager has a icon that looks like a MicroSD card on the far left.
Tap that and you are at the root of the device. Then tap /mnt the you can see the external_sd and also usb_storage.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
ES file manager has a icon that looks like a MicroSD card on the far left.
Tap that and you are at the root of the device. Then tap /mnt the you can see the external_sd and also usb_storage.
Ok, I got that.
Let me rephrase. When using the app manager and backinh up my apps. Can I change the location it backs them up from the internal to the external sd card? It looks like I have to type the file path manually.
Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Ok, I got that.
Let me rephrase. When using the app manager and backinh up my apps. Can I change the location it backs them up from the internal to the external sd card? It looks like I have to type the file path manually.
Thanks.

Set it once, manually, in settings and you are done.
Mine is set to /mnt/external_sd/backups/apps/ it will create the directory structure if it does not exist.