Acer Iconia a100

jwsail

Apr 12, 2011
For those who know 7" is better than 10"

Sent from my MB525 using Android Tablet Forum

jwsail

Apr 12, 2011
My new toy should arrive at the weekend. Will try to post first impressions early next week.

John

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Please check back and tell us your impressions.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
For those who know 7" is better than 10"

Well, it all depends on your preferences and the use you are planning to give to your tablet; also it will all depend on how you will carry your device. Totally agree with the portability of 7", but if you already use some sort of note book/scheduler/agenda and carry some books to read in a back-pack or bag, well you may find carrying a 10" very easy (most of all because you will be able to eliminate everything else and keep your books and note books in your tablet)

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
Where is the a100 available from. Does it have the same specs as the a500 except it has a 7" screen?

I just bought an a500 at BestBuy today and overall I like it. I am upgrading from a Rooted Nook Color. I am not sure I like the 10.1" size though. If everything else is the same I think I would prefer a 7" tablet.

Paul

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I have had an a500 since they hit the shelves at BestBuy. I like it a lot but I am not sure if I like a 10" screen. I had a hacked/rooted nook and really like the 7" form factor for reading.

I was considering selling this one when the a100 released but I just read some discouraging news. It was listed as having 512meg but a recent hands on report said that the system info of a demo model at a trade show indicated 1gig. The article on the homepage here about the info sent to the FCC for approval shows 512meg :( BOO!

Why would they go down in system memory? You NEVER have enough ram despite what Bill Gates said...

Cen5

Mike02z

Jul 5, 2011
I just picked one up Tuesday night at my local Wal-Mart. I have not had a ton of time to play with it yet but so far, I like it. I hope to spend more time with it over the weekend. I have an A500 which I like, but wanted something more compact as well.

I'm now up to 5 tablets. A100, A500, Transformer, PlayBook and iPad 2. The only one I'm sorry I bought was the Playbook. I like the Blackberry Bridge and the screen but the apps suck and the OS has a long way to go. If I had it to do all over again I would have skipped the A500 and the Playbook. The A500 is not bad, I just like the versatility of the Transformer with it's dock better.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Could you check battery life???
It's the only thing I need info on,

I'm also very concerned about battery life. From what I can tell it's the smallest battery I've ever heard of in a tablet. And you have to ask yourself why would they do this, is Acer completely ignorant of what people find important in these kind of devices? If they claim it is a size/weight compromise if they had bothered to talk to anyone I think they would have found that greater than 90% of the people would have felt it was a compromise they should not have made.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

catfan

Sep 3, 2011
I bought my a100 a week after it came out so i have had it for awhile, the battery lasts for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours, depending on what you are doing, it has the 1 gig not 512 as said earlier in thread. it has the exact same specs as a500, only diffrence is screen size and smaller usb port, other than that they are exactly the same, i acatually bought both the a100 and a500 so i could try them both out, then decided to keep the a100. just more convenient and it has everything identical. i love it, i have even used it with my blu ray player and downloaded emen first class from my blu ray player via pocket blu, that was awesome didnt even know that could be done! if anyone is reading this i could use some help though, when i bought it new it didnt support wmv, now acer is saying that is does support it now, so i transfered 2 digital download files to the acer a100 and when i try and play them 1 looks like a bunch of blobs in color on the screen and the other shows the rainbow bars across the screen and then turns itself off, not sure if i am doing someting wrong or maybe my micro sd card isnt the right kind or what? i tried to transfer the files directly to the acer but is says files are not compatible still, can i get some help? thanks

birdmom9726

Sep 27, 2011
After owning my A100 for 12 days, here are my (non-technical) impressions:
Beautiful screen, VERY responsive in my opinion
Fast response to just about anything you want it to do
Love the 16GB storage onboard, getting ready to add more
WiFi connects effortlessly and seems to stay connected
Charges pretty quickly
Small size/weight makes it easily portable
Very happy with it, overall - does anything I need it to do, but then again I'm not a tech type person so I probably don't use it to its fullest capabilities

Cons:
Short battery life, but I never use it for that long at a stretch - and it seems to charge pretty quickly
Only charges through dedicated port, not thru USB
No accessories available other than a stand (no keyboard) with a remote (?!!!???)
Some audio "leakage" through speakers when headphones plugged in occasionally (embarrassment potential)
"Home" key is a little too convenient - if you brush it accidentally you are OUT of whatever you're doing in a microsecond

I am certain there are other pros and cons, but I've only had my A100 a little less than 2 weeks and am still getting to know it - overall, I'm very happy with it and it's a BIG step up from the Wintec Filemate Light tab that I had before. I have found that if you have a tablet people are extremely curious about it - a GREAT conversation starter! And the A100 has enough bells and whistles (for me, anyway) that it makes for a very impressive show-off demonstrator as to the capabilities of tablets, for those who have never seen one up close. I've already convinced two people that they can't live without one - an Android tablet, that is!!!