Advent Vega Tablet and Marketplace help please.

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
I am very happy with my Vega. Affordable, enough battery life time (I get 10h with normal use), and with a custom ROM fast enough. There were no Google apps in the original ROM, but there are solutions to get them. Either you do like macc2010 and ask the dealer to install it for you, or you follow the explanations in the MoDaCo forum to install them by yourself.

I suggest that you go for a custom ROM, it is not difficult to install but it makes the Vega faster and more usable. I changed from the original launcher app to Zeam, runs nice and smooth on the tablet.

The screens viewing angles are limited, but good enough for daily use. The USB can be used as a host (with the MoDaCo ROM) and you can even plug a 3G dongle and get internet access on the go.

You can check my short review on my homepage for more information.

macc2010

Oct 23, 2010
I am very happy with my Vega. Affordable, enough battery life time (I get 10h with normal use), and with a custom ROM fast enough. There were no Google apps in the original ROM, but there are solutions to get them. Either you do like macc2010 and ask the dealer to install it for you, or you follow the explanations in the MoDaCo forum to install them by yourself.

I suggest that you go for a custom ROM, it is not difficult to install but it makes the Vega faster and more usable. I changed from the original launcher app to Zeam, runs nice and smooth on the tablet.

The screens viewing angles are limited, but good enough for daily use. The USB can be used as a host (with the MoDaCo ROM) and you can even plug a 3G dongle and get internet access on the go.

You can check my short review on my homepage for more information.

I have R8 on mine but how i get it to host so i can use Dongle?

I have tried but cant get it to pick Dongle up.

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
I have R8 on mine but how i get it to host so i can use Dongle?

I have tried but cant get it to pick Dongle up.

With the R8 comes an app called "Switch USB" that changes the USB from Slave to Host. Unfortunately it needs to reboots the tablet for each switch. Check your applications list in the R8 ROM. Or check this MoDaCo thread for the application.

For the 3G dongles, not all are working. It seems only support for Huawei dongles is available. Check this thread for details and this post for a list of working dongles.

Make sure as well you have switched off the CD-Mode/SDcard mode of the dongle. Check this post for help.

macc2010

Oct 23, 2010
With the R8 comes an app called "Switch USB" that changes the USB from Slave to Host. Unfortunately it needs to reboots the tablet for each switch. Check your applications list in the R8 ROM. Or check this MoDaCo thread for the application.

For the 3G dongles, not all are working. It seems only support for Huawei dongles is available. Check this thread for details and this post for a list of working dongles.

Make sure as well you have switched off the CD-Mode/SDcard mode of the dongle. Check this post for help.

I have not got Switch USB on mine.

how can i check that i do have R8 on mine?

macc2010

Oct 23, 2010

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011

Menu -> Settings -> About Phone
If you have the R8 ROM, then you should see somewhere Modaco Custom ROM R8. Not sure where, don't have my tablet with me at the moment.

macc2010

Oct 23, 2010
Menu -> Settings -> About Phone
If you have the R8 ROM, then you should see somewhere Modaco Custom ROM R8. Not sure where, don't have my tablet with me at the moment.

The details on mine are

Model number VEGA

Android Version 2.2

EC Version 1.9.0

Kernel version 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.09_20110211_DIX

just that a lot of what i should have on i dont.

I have Market.

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
The details on mine are

Model number VEGA

Android Version 2.2

EC Version 1.9.0

Kernel version 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.09_20110211_DIX

just that a lot of what i should have on i dont.

I have Market.

Checked my R8 and as Model number it says Vega Modaco Custom r8

So I guess you do not have the MoDaCo r8 ROM, but the stock V1.09 ROM with additional installed Android market.

supersteve1

Mar 9, 2011
Can anyone tell me, if you can download books from a library, from the advent vega, if you can how do you do it, i live in the uk. If anyone could help me out, i will be most grateful.
Many thanks.

Mar 8, 2011
I bought this as it sounded brilliant: Dual core A9 Cortex, 512MB RAM. Android 2.2.

But it turns out that the device as shipped doesn't seem to have enough software to be classified as Android eg no Market and missing many Google Apps.
This can be fixed by waiting (though looking at reports back in November, the Android / Market upgrades should already be out), or using a third party fix.

As a software developer, there are three things that I have noticed:
apps are limited to 16MB rather than the more usual 24MB, so we've had to reduce the memory used to fit our app on here;
the fast dual A9 Cortex CPUs don't contain the optional ARM NEON SIMD coprocessor, so we are releasing a non-NEON version - luckily the extra CPU means there is plenty of speed to play with (I think Adobe had the same issue with Flash, as the increasingly popular Tegra 2 chips have this deficiency); and
no market yet, so I can't give it to my kids to play games on.

camrhodes

Mar 27, 2011
Hi there,
Has anyone installed the market on their viewpad 10s / vega and realised that all the apps are not available. for example the twitter app is not available to me. has anyone else had this problem :)
Thanks and I hope this hasnt been asked already

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Hi there,
Has anyone installed the market on their viewpad 10s / vega and realised that all the apps are not available. for example the twitter app is not available to me. has anyone else had this problem :)
Thanks and I hope this hasnt been asked already

Same problem here on the ViewPad 10s. Then I installed the MoDaCo custom ROM r8 (with my own mods) and now everything is fine. Just during booting my ViewPad say it is an Advent Vega, but I don't care.

jordanh97

Jul 31, 2011
well i know u have got it done now but an easier way to install the android market would be to open up your internet browser on your advent vega and visit a site called : 4shared.com
then in the search bar type in "android market.apk" then select a file download it, drag down the notification bar click on the downloaded file and install it ;)