After Froyo update Music and Gallery Apps don't work - Help!

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
The title says it, they don't work after I updated. Are there others having this problem and if so have you found a solution. I have been working on fixing the Music App problem as this is the most troublesome to me (I used that app daily). I have tried side loading a couple Google Music APKs from other froyo and gingerbread devices and it looks as though it's not a problem with the app itself. Whatever these apps use to look for and import media content does not seem to be working. The apps open but do not import anything.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Are there others having this problem and if so have you found a solution.

These apps both work on my "hwver" 11.2.0.6 with DG2.20

The apps open but do not import anything.
Could the problem be the SD card? Using a 16 GB Patriot microSD card both apps work.

With a 2 GB 'no name' card it can be read by a computer but reports as damaged or not formatted, however when the card is removed, both apps work however, as you note there's no content to view or play.

Make sure you can see the files on the SD card using "My Pad" or some other file explorer on the tablet and launch them from there. If you can see the files but they wont play -
1) try moving some content (pictures/music) to /local and try again and if that fails and you're willing to start over
2) do a factory reset and try again or burn the update again.

Post what "hwver" in case it's an update issue with a specific Hardware Version.

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
HWVER 11.2.1.5

I'm using a 8GB Class 4 Kingston.

I tried a factory reset (it didn't reset, my apps/etc were all still there). I then went ahead and reinstalled the new ios from the SD card. That did not help. I will try to redo my bootable SD card.

I can launch my files using a file explorer (Astro and the stock app).

I don't mind starting over, I've become quite good at reinstalling my apps/etc using Astro as a backup.

Since the Privacy factory reset is not working, do you think the three finger method of loading the new ios off the SD card would help.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Since the Privacy factory reset is not working, do you think the three finger method of loading the new ios off the SD card would help.

Attempt a "Factory reset (three finger method)".

"Factory data reset" are "Factory reset (three finger method)" are different. One just removes your personal settings and the other restores the device to factory defaults.

Using a simple PC analogy - A "Factory data reset" is like deleting your browsers history clearing Cookies and saved passwords, etc. Where a "Factory reset (three finger method)" is similar to reformatting your computers hard drive and reloading the operating system.

A "Factory data reset", described in this Digital Gadget's support video Sylvania 7" Android Tablet: Using the system settings, part 2, erases all data on the device. This is accomplished by going to "Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset - Erases all data on device". Applications are NOT deleted just the settings are returned to defaults.

A "Factory reset (three finger method)" will re-burn the Recovery image, thus all installed applications will be wiped away and a fresh installation of the system will be installed. If the device has been updated to DG2.20 it will be re-installed. If the device has not been updated and a recovery image is present it will be installed. Some devices don't have an initial recovery and they cannot be "Factory reset". This is resolve once the device has been updated.

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
Good news, after a lot of medling with my SD card I fixed the problem. I tried formating the card using my LG Optimus S and then added some MP3s. It worked, sort of, until I copied all my files back onto the card. I then tried using my card from my phone in the tablet and that worked fine. I finally narrowed it down to my tablet's new software does not like how my files were organized on my card (folder names/etc). So I copied my files/folders from my phone's card onto the tablet card and then added all my apps/media into the folders I would have them on my phone's card. I hope that all makes sense. Bottom line, my tablet is now working with my media, now I just need to reload all my apps one more time.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Ok. Can you do us a favor and tell us the folder structure that works? ie:
music files go on the card in folder /media/music
video files go on the card in folder /media/video

or how ever it is. I will check my stock Tab and see if it's the same...

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
Reformating the card was the main problem. Once I did this images/video were pulled from any location on the SD card. The music is being pulled from /sdcard/music. I originally had it in /sdcard/media/music and could not get my mp3 files to pull into the music app.