Amazon Unveils it's $199 Kindle Fire Tablet

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010

Amazon.com, the world’s largest online retailer, just unveiled its Kindle Fire tablet. The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Android software.

The Kindle Fire doesn’t have a camera or a microphone. It offers Wi-Fi connectivity, but no 3G access. It also comes with a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, the company’s $79-a-year membership service that includes streaming video and free two-day shipping.

Here are the full specs:

• 7 inch IPS 1024×600 resolution display with 169 PPI
  • 7.5″ x 4.7″ x 0.45″ (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm) at 14.6 ounces (413 grams)
  • dual-core processor (we’re hearing it’s of the TI OMAP4 variety)
  • 8GB of internal storage
  • Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback (charges in four hours and can be charged using a USB port on your PC)
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi (no ad-hoc support)
  • microUSB 2.o
  • 3.5mm headphone jack and top-mounted external speakers

Amazon is using a fresh and easy-to-use interface instead of stock Android that ties the device closely to its own large and growing content library of movies, magazines and music.

Update: According to industry sources you will be able to pre-order the Amazon Kindle Fire starting today, and it will ship on November 15th.

Be sure to check out our dedicated Amazon Android tablet site @ Amazon-Tablets.com!

Source: Amazon-Tablets.com via Bloomberg

Last edited:

EABonney

May 16, 2011
I am going to wait to get some reviews of this device, but IF someone finds a way to root this device, it would be my first choice for a tablet. I have been holding off for this device to be revealed and reviewed before I purchase one.

Just need to see this thing in action in a couple of months and see how the reviews go.

Dec 17, 2010
I have a few questions about the device:

1. Does it have Bluetooth or a MicroSDHC card slot?
2. Can I use it as a development device or install my own apk files without rooting it?
3. Can I install CM7? Would I want to?
4. Apparently no Android Market - Amazon's appstore only. How does Amazon's compare with Google's?
5. Is there anything that a rooted Nook Color can do better? I have a Nook Color, why should I buy this now?

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
My opinion is that this is not meant to compete against the iPads, Galaxy Tabs, Xooms or really any tablet. The Kindle Fire is a more advanced eReader. It is not a tablet although the lines are blurring between tablets and eReaders. The Kindle Fire is really meant to compete against the Nook Colors of the market. This is not an iPad killer or the Android tablet that will be #1. It is priced right and will appeal to many individuals. However there are some negatives that I have read:

- Only 30 day trial to Prime?? I was expecting a 1 year trial membership. That would have been a major plus.
- Apparently cannot add more memory as there is NO memory card slot. Major negative. Even the Nook Color has a memory card slot.
- Only 8GB with no way to add more memory? I know Amazon wants to heavily promote cloud storage but cloud is useless as one is limited by WiFi access. As an example, I commute on a bus. I have no WiFi (unless I tether through my cell phone) so I cannot access things in the "cloud" unless I have that WiFi connection.

To answer Bootstrap Bill, no Google apps at all (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc.). This will run a modified version of Android but one will not recognize it similar to the Nook Color. Apparently, developers should be able to modify and eventually install CM7. From what I read Amazon is keeping the software open. The hardware will be better than the Nook Color. I believe the processor is a TI OMAP dual core Cortex A9 while Nook has Cortex A8 single core. The Kindle Fire should perform faster and better than the Nook Color but then again the Nook Color 2 will be released soon.

Again, the Kindle Fire is meant to compete against the Nook Color.

Dec 17, 2010
My opinion is that this is not meant to compete against the iPads, Galaxy Tabs, Xooms or really any tablet. The Kindle Fire is a more advanced eReader. It is not a tablet although the lines are blurring between tablets and eReaders. The Kindle Fire is really meant to compete against the Nook Colors of the market. This is not an iPad killer or the Android tablet that will be #1. It is priced right and will appeal to many individuals. However there are some negatives that I have read:

- Only 30 day trial to Prime?? I was expecting a 1 year trial membership. That would have been a major plus.
- Apparently cannot add more memory as there is NO memory card slot. Major negative. Even the Nook Color has a memory card slot.
- Only 8GB with no way to add more memory? I know Amazon wants to heavily promote cloud storage but cloud is useless as one is limited by WiFi access. As an example, I commute on a bus. I have no WiFi (unless I tether through my cell phone) so I cannot access things in the "cloud" unless I have that WiFi connection.

To answer Bootstrap Bill, no Google apps at all (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc.). This will run a modified version of Android but one will not recognize it similar to the Nook Color. Apparently, developers should be able to modify and eventually install CM7. From what I read Amazon is keeping the software open. The hardware will be better than the Nook Color. I believe the processor is a TI OMAP dual core Cortex A9 while Nook has Cortex A8 single core. The Kindle Fire should perform faster and better than the Nook Color but then again the Nook Color 2 will be released soon.

Again, the Kindle Fire is meant to compete against the Nook Color.

Anyone can get a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime.

My biggest complaint so far - no SD card reader. How am I supposed to transfer photos and videos from my camera when I'm away from home? The Nook Color is great for uploading photos and videos while I'm at a WiFi hotspot. The new custom Interface looks neat. Hopefully it will be easy to root and extend.

Dec 17, 2010
The BB Playbook looks like a much better tablet and it's now selling for only $299.

Does anyone know if CM7 has been ported to it yet?