Android 4.0 tablet, no sound what so ever.

m1nuteman

Aug 24, 2012
Hi all, new to this forum.

I just bought a super cheap AGPtek TP10A tablet. I know, i know. Straight out of the box, no sound works, and neither does the microphone. I'm new to Android OS, and I've tried messing with all the settings I could find on the device to no avail. I tried headphones, nothing. Whenever I do something that would normally produce a sound, there is a faint white noise coming from the speakers. I've tried factory reset and pinhole reset. No difference.

I'm assuming its the cheaply-made hardware, but the white noise makes me think it could be a software issue.

The tablet fits my needs (temporary) and my price range (cheap), so I decided to risk it. Hell, everything else on the tablet works just fine! If anyone has any tips or tricks I could try before I RMA this thing, It would be very, very much appreciated.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

If you did a factory reset and didn't install ANYTHING it would seem that you may have a hardware problem. If you tap the menu lower right. there should be a volume slider, where is it on the scale left to right?

m1nuteman

Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply!

tapping the menu just brings up the time and info display. If I go into settings, and click on sound/volume, they're all up all the way. Same with the volume slider for the volume button on the side of the tablet.

I can't find much useful info on the web, so maybe it is indeed hardware. The white noise thing bothers me though; there's some sort of signal going to the speaker. But headphones don't work either. If it were a windows PC i'd say "reinstall the sound driver" but that's apparently not how Android works, lol.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Sounds very much like a loose connection inside the tablet, potentially the speakers. A bad ground might cause the white noise.

m1nuteman

Aug 24, 2012
Probably not worth it to crack it open and see, it would probably void the warranty, right?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi, it sounds like your tablet is defective...why don't you change it?

fandm

Aug 17, 2012
Hi mate start with the simple things first, stick some head phones into the device, if you have sound the settings are right and it should be working upto the sound out.forget the internal speaker they are crap anyway.

bclaff

Sep 27, 2012
There is an app in the market that helps with audio problems. It now supports tablets. The app is named SoundAbout.

Sep 27, 2012
If your device is still under warranty, you can have it replaced by the manufacturer with no extra charge! If you have got a cheap tablet, it is most likely the Android firmware does not work with that particular device.. Even though that was the default firmware! Manufacturers sometimes just install the OS on the tablet and they dont check Sound or Microphones when done.. That could be the case