Android 5.1 "Lollipop" Is Now Official

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Summary:Google has quietly released Android 5.1 "Lollipop," which means that updates will be winging their way to Nexus owners soon. Everyone else, well, don't hold your breath.

By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes for Hardware 2.0 | February 4, 2015 -- 18:30 GMT (10:30 PST)

2015-02-0417-50-00.jpg

Google

Google has quietly released Android 5.1 "Lollipop," which means that updates will be winging their way to Nexus owners soon. Everyone else, well, don't hold your breath.

There's no official announcement as yet, but Google's Android One page refers to the new release. Since there's no changelog yet, it is unclear as to what this update brings, although the general consensus is that this is a bugfix release to tackle battery and stability issues.

A leaked changelog from back in December 2014 indicated that the update would include the following:

• Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
  • General improvements in system stability
  • Improved RAM management
  • Fixes for sudden app closures
  • Improved battery management
  • Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
  • Issues with wireless connections fixed
  • Problems with Okay Google function solved
  • Notifications problems solved
  • Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
  • Other improvements and changes
  • Changes in the Material Design color palette (after users complaints, possibly for a higher version though)
If you're running a Nexus 5, Nexus 6, or Nexus 9, then Android 5.1 should be headed to your device shortly. If you own something else, then don't hold your breath.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It took 2½ months since the announcement, but Android 5.1 Build LMY470 finally "winged" it's way to my Nexus 7 (2013).:)

Shot4me

Jul 19, 2015
Android 5.1 has already "winged" to my Nexus 7 and it is now useless. I have a 2012 32gb with WiFi. I have tried all the fixes that I understand (forums are full of ideas that I don't understand enough to follow). I now need to purchase a new tablet. Most of the tablets I have looked at, Shield, Samsung Tab S, Asus Vivo Tabe and Asus MeMo, when I look at them at sites have kitkat 4 still installed. Will it update after I get it? Will it ruin them when it does? I use Crome for internet use, Kendle app, Google maps and a lot of Youtube. I don't need a super-fancy tablet, but I don want something reliable and that Google can't ruin. I loved my Nexus 7, it did everything I needed it to do.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I loved my Nexus 7, it did everything I needed it to do.

Sorry to hear the updates ruined your tablet, but not surprised. The same thing happened to my N7 (2013). I used to be able to "Sleep" the tablet between uses and the battery would last for a week or more between charges. Now, the battery goes dead in one day. The first few updates actually improved the tablet, but going from KitKat to Lollipop was a HUGE mistake.

Shot4me

Jul 19, 2015
I was so thankful to leeshor from this site that helped me get my Nexus 7 2012 back up and running. I really had lost any hope of it working again. I had been to many forums and read all kinds of advice, all complicated, confusing and scary. This was easy to do and even better it worked. Up till today, I felt the same way. I hope this helps you too.

Next time you get it running just do a factory reset. Settings - backup and reset. Note that the data will be lost. But I suspect it will come back to life.

(I was able to keep all of the apps I had added, and I have not found anything missing - didn't have a lot saved on to tablet. You do have to move the apps back to your pages and reset a few password). Good luck.