Android and GPS

zigqllama

Mar 11, 2013
Hello, if this topic has already been beaten to death I am sorry. "GPS" is too short to use for a forum search, even though it (and many other 3 letter acronyms) are pretty important keywords.

Anyway...

My Nexus 10 tablet has integrated GPS. I got an AGPTek 10" ICS-based tablet for my parents that does not have built-in GPS (see: AGPtek 8GB 10.1"Wi-fi Android 4.0 Internet Tablet - A9 1.2GHz 1GB DDR3 Memory 2160P HDMI w/ 8GB Micro SD Memory Card - Newegg.com).
They want GPS though. I've spent days sifting through search after search on the subject of Android tablets and external GPS, but couldn't find anything newer than 2010 when it was definitely an impossibility.

We're not using Froyo anymore, so I'm going to ask if anyone knows whether it can be done with 4.0 and higher. Whether it's a USB GPS dongle or bluetooth-based, can an external GPS receiver be connected to and used normally by apps such as Google Maps?

I have seen a USB GPS receiver on Amazon that specifically said Android compatibility, but not a whisper more on the subject except for those few reviews where people are getting desperate for answers and are just straight-up asking whether it really is compatible (although no one ever answers these people).

I realize that decent tablets have them already integrated, but before I buy them a Garmin dashboard-mount unit to sit alongside their tablet in the car, I just thought I'd try asking everyone here since this is "The #1 Android Tablet Community" and all. ;)

Has anyone successfully connected a USB or BT GPS receiver to their tablets?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Unfortunately android tablets that don't have integrated GPS can only be used for GPS if you purchase a GPS and connected using Bluetooth. In other words, you're kind of stuck.

zigqllama

Mar 11, 2013
But you're saying a Bluetooth GPS receiver should work, just not a USB one? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Xiaoliong

Jun 30, 2013
I bought Lenovo S880 with capability of 3G, wifi thetering, and GPS. one year later (last month), i bought PIPO M9 10 inch, which dont have GPS and no 3G. firstly i think i made mistake, but slowly i search the internet, and i got solution for you. First, i make my Lenovo S880 as server (for everything - i will explain detail), and my PIPO M9 as client.

1. for WIFI/internet connection, i simply use WIFI Thetering feature on my Lenovo S880, i turn on wifi on my PIPO and take the internet wifi from my Lenovo
2. for GPS, there are several program available in the internet. you must install the "server type" application in the server (in my case, Lenovo) and the "client type" application in the client. For connection there are 2 types of connection that can be use, wifi connection, or bluetooth connection. however. among many program in the internet, the WIFI-GPS not working in my phone. but the BLUETOOTH GPS does. in my Lenovo i install "GPS2BT" application (server). in my pipo in install "bluetooth GPS".

but... i notice, that i must use 3 resources at one time, that is wifi (to open google map), GPS, and bluetooth. i research again, and i find a solution.
1. before i go survey, i browse around using my PIPO M9, i open google earth , i browse around the city i want to go, zoom in and zoom out, so the pictures will be stored in the cache and ready to use tommorrow even without internet connection.
2. i install application "maps with me", its an offline map, i found it very recommended to use. so i dont have to use the wifi/internet connection. instead i only use Bluetooth conection.

if you find my explanation not clear, you can googling with terms "GPS WIFI tethering" or "GPS bluetooth tethering". i hope it will help.