Android For Autistic Child.

Nrrrdgrrrl38

Aug 29, 2011
I am currently on the search for a CHEAP android tablet that will run either Voice4u or SonoFlex(both require official android market, or amazon market) And android version 1.6 or 2.2 or later.
This will be for an autistic child who throws wild tantrums. I currently have an Acer Iconia. I know that she would have such a light/thin tablet destroyed pronto. Were hoping that what ever I get her for her birthday lasts past the learning(dont break this) stage. If not, hopefully its cheap enough to be replaced. I would love under 100 dollars. I have searched and searched on amazon. I keep finding junk that doesn't have the amazon market.
I can root if necessary, although the child's mom I am giving it too cannot, so It would either need to be a one time thing, or a vary rare thing.
We would love if it had a backwards facing camera. As with many of these AAC apps you need pictures of the things you wish to have the app "say". If we could find one that didn't have one, I guess we could live, though it would be much more helpful. Would also be great, as her child could then take pictures of the item she wants to show to her mother (she has a speech limitation of about 10 words at age 4).

Otherwise, 7 inches would be about the best size for her little hands, don't want anything less than 5 inches as she currently has an ipod touch which is really too small.
If anyone has any good suggestions let me know.

My break neck price is about 150. Anything more than that and I wont be able to afford it for her birthday and me and her mom will have to save to get her something after that.

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
Honestly, no tablet is going to survive being thrown once. The cheap ones cannot even survive being dropped. You would be better off waiting until the behavior issues are dealt with before giving her a tablet. Unless the child is heavily supervised while using the tablet it is just a missle waiting forcertain destruction. I have a child with autism and they just don't understand, for the most part, that things break for good and she will be upset waiting for it to be working again.

No sub $200 tablet will come out of the box properly supporting the market. If the parent does ot understand rooting/setup then it would just be a frustrating experience for all.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
If you focus on refurbished instead of new, you might be able to find one that suits your needs. Keep your eye on Woot.com. a lot of times they have tablets for Deal of the Day. The child would be using it with somebody, right? I have a grand daughter that is similar. She is 5 1/2 and academically fine but gets frustrated that she cannot comunicate well. But we are 200 miles away and not much I can do to help. Getting her a tablet sounds like a really good idea as there are lots of kids apps. Good luck!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
If the child has an IEP put in place by the local school district, the may consider the tablet as a learning aid, and provide one. This will not last if thrown, so at any rate, it will need to be used under supervision. Check with the schools.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
This is currently $170 at Toys R Us. The pictures in that article make it look like you can get a carrier for it that might protect it somewhat.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There are many good tablets you can buy for less than $150, that market works right out of the box. here is one that I own and this is the store I bought it from.

iview-710tpc Iview 7 inch Touch Screen Android 2.3 Tablet PC 800 x 480 Resolution 256MB DDR RAM WiFi 4GB Flash memory Micro SD Mini HDMI Mini USB Ports-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Very good tablet I still use it as my to go tablet. here is the next step up from same company.

Iview 760-TPC 7 inch Touch Screen Tablet PC Iview 800x480 Corex A8 CPU 512MB DDR3 4GB Flash WiFi Webcam Micro SD Card Slot Android 2.3-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

And here is the tablet I have ordered haven't received it yet. as you can see you can get a lot in your price range all with market working out of the box.

McBub: Low-Priced Ployer MOMO8, USD 149.99, Ployer MOMO8 Business Edition Tablet PC - 8 inch 8GB Android 4.0 1.5GHz Capacitive 2160P HD 3D Movie (CN109156)

Last edited: