Android Market now show device compatibility

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
According to what I've been reading people can't just make up fingerprint strings, they have to use one from a device with Market access - the fingerprint string is registered with Google.

If I understand correctly, this is how it is supposed to work:
* a company designs a device to the Compatibility Definition for a specific version of Android
* the device is tested using Google's Compatibility Test Suite and once it passes. . .
* the fingerprint string is registered with the Open Handset Alliance.
* Optionally the company can pay Google for a license to include the official Market app and access to the official Market.

You'll notice there are devices out there that ship with a proprietary app store or a third party market app instead of the official Market because the manufacturers of those devices haven't paid Google's license. You'll also notice that's why none of the Google "experience" apps are included with CyanogenMod or other custom aftermarket roms. However there is a loophole that is allowed by Google - if the device shipped with the Google apps they can be backed up and then installed on the new rom because the license relates to the hardware, not the operating system.

How rigidly does Google enforce this licensing thing? Well they issued a Cease & Desist letter to Cyanogen for including the Google apps. The now defunct Augen also had similar licensing issues. But if an unlicensed device does access the official Market? Well the licensing is for the device's manufacturer, not the end user, so it appears they'll let you as an individual into their store - most likely because it's of more value to them to let you shop than lock you out.

incantrix

May 2, 2012
What I'd LIKE them to add is an override option for their compatibility check, which isn't really a "check" so much as a "block." If Google *thinks* your device isn't compatible you can't select it in the list and therefore can't install it. There is no way to override it and install the app anyway.

This is one reason I'm liking the Amazon App Store a lot more than Google's Market. Amazon doesn't care what you device you own, they don't even ask.

As long as you're in the US, which I and many, many others aren't :(

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
As long as you're in the US, which I and many, many others aren't :(

I recall reading numerous posts last September about the Amazon App Store being available in Europe (and specifically the UK, which you list as your location). Even before it was made available to some International users people were circumventing the restriction by registering through the American version of the Amazon web site instead of using their localized store front.

J

jimbo7630

oops! purely in the intersts of Science I tried the "Tunnel" access - no problem UNTIL they want your U.S. Mobile number, epic fail!!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
oops! purely in the intersts of Science I tried the "Tunnel" access - no problem UNTIL they want your U.S. Mobile number, epic fail!!

Do you mean the little box on their website for downloading the Amazon App Store app that says "Enter your mobile number or e-mail"?

I'm guessing they assume the mobile number is for the Android device on which you want to use the app and they'd just text you a download link. My tablet, of course, doesn't have a mobile number so I just gave them an email address I could check on the device and the email just contains the download link to the app. They also provide a direct link on a download page for devices that don't have mobile numbers. You're supposed to access it on the device, but I was able to download it with my desktop browser as well (in which case the .apk could be side-loaded to the device).

Of course I'm in the US so I've no idea what this all looks like to someone in other countries.

J

jimbo7630

This is what I was expecting "Enter your mobile number or e-mail" But what I got was "Enter your mobile number including Area code" no mention of, or box for, email address. I may try again if I can be bothered, lol!