Android OS baffles me (Nextbook Ares 11.2 in 2-in-1 and Sony Experia phone

MegG84

Feb 18, 2016
I am not a quitter, but Droid phone and tablet are frustrating to me. Both my windows laptops crashed within a few weeks of each other, and I damaged my Windows Phone. While sending them off to repair, I purchased a Nextbook as a backup device. About the same time I broke my Windows phone and the insurance replaced it with a Sony Experia (Droid)...I have been struggling to use both this past week.The tablet is almost useless to me:

1. I cannot get Nextbook to read any external device. I've read that the ext drive formatting must be exFat. Should I invest in a Droid compatible ext hard drive? do these exist? Do I need separate external hard drives for Windows and Droid devices, or will Windows read an exFAT formatted drive?

2. I cannot get my Nextbook contacts to upload my Outlook contacts (from my Windows
phone). Web directions say to export Outlook contacts as a csv file. Done! However, Nextbook import contact command searches only for v-cards and not the csv file.

3. Nextbook instructions were very, very sparse. I cannot figure out why touching my screenpad usually takes me to my contact list no matter what app/program I am using. I don't find I am touching any particular part of the touchpad either. Hope someone has guidance to tell me what I am doing wrong...

4. I purchased sev Windows based apps. Of course, i learn now they are not Droid compatible.

A, I need a pdf editor. My Windows based app was close to $100. Any suggestions for a good, inexpensive or free Droid pdf editor and OCP converter?

b. Norton360 is also not Droid friendly. What program should I use to protect my Nextbook? DOes my Experia phone need virus protection, too?

5. Anyone know why my Sony Experia takes so long to charge (7 hours) and why I cannot use this phone while it's charging?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
On #1, are you trying to use the charging port? If so the only way to use any external storage other than a microSD card would be to see if an OTG cable would work. OTG=On The Go It converts a micro USB port to standard USB host.

#2 you have ha;f the problem solved. Log into your Google account with a browser and there is a setting there to import the CSV files into the addressbook and that will sync to the tablet. It can be done on the tablet but it's easier to do it on the WEB

#3 I'm no help

#4 Sorry about that. 4a try Foxit PDF, it has some editing capabilities.

#5, That sounds like a bad charger or cable. Are you using the charger that came with the phone?

#6 ? ;)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi MegG84, congratulations on your Nextbook tablet and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets.

#1. There are free apps available to determine whether or not your tablet can host a USB device or not.
OTG - Android Apps on Google Play

#4b. Malwarebytes and AVG both provide protection for tablets, and yes you should protect the phone as well.
malwarebytes - Android Apps on Google Play

BTW I'm moving your thread to the E Fun Tablets forum for you, where more people familiar with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!