Android Tablet that can make/receive non-voIP phone calls

kbhit

Sep 1, 2012
I'm looking to purchase an Android Tablet that can make/receive non-voIP phone calls (i.e. I need it to make regular phone calls without requiring Google Voice etc and other VOIP/SIP programs). The network I want to use is PagePlus cellular (shares the towers from Verizon Wireless - cdma I believe). I essentially want to be able to sign up with a regular voice/data plan from PagePlus cellular, and assign both of them to this Tablet (instead of a cell phone).

Is there any Android Tablet that provides this capability for this network?

Many thanks!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

You aren't, from your request, wanting a tablet, you really are wanting a phone. The tablets with 3G or 4G could be used to make calls but none has the ability without using the apps you excluded.

In short there are no "tablets" that will do what you are asking that I am aware of.

kingbrowne

Apr 24, 2012
There are a couple of tablets/ phones out there.

Two well known brand names that quickly comes to mind are Huawei and Freelander, and there are others. These brands are basically phone makers now launching into tablets, so more emphasis is placed on the phone than the tablet side of things. Freelander offers both 7 or 10 inch models. Samsung also make a 7inch tablet with phone capabilities.

I would recommend you run a search for tablet phone on Ebay to get a better look.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You may want to consider the Samsung Galaxy Note, or its sequal out shortly. I think a 5.5 inch screen with a digitizer layer thrown in to boot. Nice phone/tablet.

learner

Jan 28, 2012
This will be available soon,it may be just what you are looking for.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 - Full phone specifications

Last edited:

kbhit

Sep 1, 2012
Folks, thank you so much, your responses have been incredibly helpful. After some review, I think these two phones would be a great fit (the quad core is pretty important for me which rules out some older phablets such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab CDMA). The only problem is, I don't think either of these two phones exist for CDMA yet? I may just have to bite the bullet and switch carriers.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 - Full phone specifications . This is ideal for me because it's over 10". Oddly, Samsung's website mentions 'WIFI-Only' which differs from the specs on this URL
- the new Galaxy Note 2 (Samsung Galaxy Note 2: Hands On | PCWorld) . A little small, but actually might do the trick because of the resolution support. I think this is the new Note that 'Tom T' referred to. Only hoping for CDMA support sometime soon?

Many thanks, very excited.

bertst

Oct 9, 2012
hey i had the same idea some time back found the freelander PD 10 monster phone got it from mainland china it works great with straighttalk just pop the sim in put in some numbers that came with the set up card and of i was call on reg cell towers surf the web and i realy like the phone i have conference with up to 5 people at once sofar dont ask me how its in the phone my friends have got some too they got one with 1 gig ram and 8 gig internal ther faster then my the only thing i cant get it to work is on a bluetooth keyboard or a mini 5 pin usb keyboard both are case style from amason but im looking for info on that thats why im in here.by the way if you dont like ussing bluetooth head set it does look funy to have a thick tablet up to your head LOL ;) my friend just order a 9.7 inch from china thats the next one we are going to see if it works out good ps tethering wifi blutooth and usb are unlocked so is GPS and i love the nav view for turn by turn direction hope this helps :cool:

Last edited:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
First, I saw people holding up 10" tablets to use the rear-facing camera to take pictures at chidren's events, blocking the view of other parents behind them.
Now people are going to put a 10" tablet next to their head to make/receive phone calls?!!
Its about time they make 20" tablets. I want to see how ridiculous things can get. Lol!