Android Takes 20% of Tablet Market From iPad; The Real Reason Apple is Lawsuit Happy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
android-jedis-multi-attack.jpg

Here's the wrinkle, the thrux of the matter, the real nitty gritty... Apple isn't suing Amazon, HTC, Samsung, and now Motorola because they genuinely believe their ideas are being copied. In fact, Apple's lawsuits have nothing to do with any of these companies. There is one singular pattern emerging from all this... there is only one common denominator: Android.

A new report from ABI Research indicates that in just 12 months time, Google's Android based tablets have taken a 20% chunk out of Apple's iPad marketshare. While it's true that no single manufacturer of a tablet has been able to mount any significant threat to the iPad... taken as a whole, the multiple Android manufacturers aren't just eroding Apple's marketshare in the tablet market, they are slicing through it aggressively. It's precisely because Android doesn't come from just one particular manufacturer that makes it such a monumental threat to Apple. It can attack from multiple angles.

It is very likely that Android's "meteoric" rise to dominance in the smartphone industry scared the crap out of Apple. Now, they are having a terrifying "deja vu" experience in the tablet industry, and see the exact same thing repeating itself with Android for tablets "ramping" up to crush the iPad.

Apple isn't confident that it can go after Google directly or beat it in the marketplace, so it has chosen instead to assault Android indirectly in the courts by going after the manufacturers that make Android products. This is a devious plan, and simply smacks of desperation.

In many ways, it is a very sad tale. Apple is actually a pretty amazing company and has always been a leader in innovation. I even consider myself to be a fan of Apple. They pioneered some of the greatest technological phases in human history, but for some reason they always choose to remain a "closed" system. This ultimately leads to their downfall, just like when Microsoft beat them in the past with PC's versus Macs. It may be true that for the longest time Macs were a better product than any PC (and it could be argued that they still are), but it is impossible to deny that when it comes to market proliferation, they got the "snot beat out of them." Windows based PCs control a vast majority of the world's home computer markets, and Mac OS computers hold maybe 15%.

History is repeating itself with Android vs. iOS, and unless Apple decides to become more "open-minded," their fate is already sealed; they will again be relegated to a "niche" market spot. Fighting their competitors by abusing the legal system will not stop it, and simply just smacks of "bad form."

Does anyone else see this same pattern? Isn't it obvious?

Source: BGR
Picture Source: RougeCrown via MobileAttack.com

Last edited:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I'd always been a fan of Apple products. My first "serious" computer was a Mac. I'm a designer and Macs are the platform-of-choice in my industry. I once worked for an Apple reseller (back in the days before the Apple Store existed). That said, I'm not much of a fan of the company anymore. These aggressive, anti-competitive legal tactics, the walled-garden ecosystem, the whole app store business - none of this is good for us as consumers.

However, I think it's wrong to say "they always choose to remain a 'closed' system" because there was a period in the early 1990s when they weren't. Anyone remember the licensed "Mac Clone" market? Or the PowerMac 4400 that used off-the-shelf industry standard parts and there was a PC-Compatible version that could run DOS/Windows. That all changed when Steve Jobs returned to the helm. If you want to know why Apple is so "closed" today it's all because of him. Not without cause he has something of a reputation as a control freak.

Frankly, if Adobe ever released a Linux-compatible version of Creative Suite I'd abandon both Mac and Windows platforms, since CS is 90% of the reason I turn my computer on each day.

BugsBunny891

Apr 15, 2010
I agree that Apple tends to have better products in consideration to specs, but their habit of wanting complete control how the consumer uses their devices is really annoying (cant even change keyboard in iOS). Thats why i never mess with their products and chose to support android devices.