Another android choice. 7" "kindle" alternative.

austinsting

Aug 1, 2010
Sorry for yet another thread, but I'm looking for an android tablet for a family member instead of a kindle. I've read through the stickies and browsed the forums a bit and think i have it narrowed down to a decent choice.
I'm looking for:
7"
App-store
Support for amazon book store app
third party e-reader app
Low price (preferably under 150)
Internet browsing capability.
Decent battery life
Obviously 802.11g wifi

As far as the OS goes, I think 2.1 isn't needed, as flash won't be a primary concern on this device.

How's this device,
here @ ~$150

Or would something as simple as this get the job done for these basic needs:
this $99 one

I'm just looking for a cheap kindle alternative, and i obviously realize that the screen won't be "E-ink" and as visible in direct sunlight.

Thanks for your help and guiding me through this mess.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Rockchip devices can't run the Kindle app or the Barnes and Noble app right now. The $99 one is the one that will run Kindle, but it's only good for Ebook reading and much else.

If you don't care about the Kindle app and want to load your own Ebook files into it, I'd prefer the Rockchip because it's better in every way except for Android 1.5. Just make sure you get the new batch 3s.

austinsting

Aug 1, 2010
Okay, thanks for the info.
The uses would be very limited, and performance doesn't need to blazing fast.
If the price range was upped to $200 what would you reccomend, and do you think it would make a difference?
This is for a pretty not technical family member, who'll use it 90% of the time for e-books and browsing.
I've also considered
7inch android stable OS Rockchips core CPU aPad talbet mid

and
android OS 2.1 Telechips processor 7inch aPad tablet MID

From what i understand, that last one would be the best, but if for limited web browsing and ebooks it's not going to make a difference I'll save the cash.
Any other best bang for the buck reccomendations?
Oh and the telechips one has a hacked hybrid OS, right? So the 2.1 android OS isn't really important as it isn't official, right?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I never heard of that site, but both of those items are overpriced. Also, the RK2808 tablet in that listing is a less popular variant, so there's been no custom ROMs for that. If you don't need HDMI, just go for the traditional APad (as seen hiapad.com)

Refunding and exchange policies are non existent, but people have reported luck with this buyer here: Wholesale-7" Apad MID Android Rockchip iRobot Tablet PC UMPC EPAD HDTouch Screen Android OS WiFi Camera G sensor FREE
She doesn't really support the product afterwards though. You have to pay extra for that with other sellers, typically listing the product for $50 more.

If you use paypal, you can dispute it if anything goes wrong.

JT shop, mp4nation and tabletstoreuk are other alternatives for the Apad.

austinsting

Aug 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure i found the site through some older threads on this forum, although I can't pull up feedback, i just don't know where the best places are besides the "where to buy" thread lists.

Sorry, i don't mean to be thick, but that rockchip still runs the Android 1.5
There's no way to upgrade the OS, right? Will a firmware revision fix this?
Also, do you think the rockchip performance gains will bet noticeable with ebooks and light browsing over the budget $100 ebook listed earlier or is there another device sub $200 that would run a newer version of android OS and provide moderate performance. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles, just the basics.
Thanks,
AUstin