App Lock needed

kwendland

May 18, 2012
I am a teacher and we are looking at using tablets in the classroom, however one of the concerns is security. I am looking for some good app ideas that lock the tablet out from certain areas and apps. I have Application Protection, but was told it was able to be hacked in seconds. I don't know how yet, wasn't told. So if you have any good app suggestions please share them. Thanks.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Sorry that app was for securing a data connection not securing/locking apps on your tablet that would be app lock, the app below.
Please forgive, I am giving up cigs and my brain is farting on me right now.

There is allso this one called AppLock which I thought you were talking about. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kb21vYmlsZS5hcHBsb2NrIl0.

These have the same password keyboard which may be a generic Android board but they look the same on my tablets.
But they both work well.
As for hacking. Any app can be hacked it just depends on how savvy your students are. If the tablets are going to go home with them you will have no control no matter what anyone says.
If the tablets stay in the classroom these apps should be enough to keep them in line provided your password is secure, ie at least 8 caracters long and has upper and lower case letters in it and numbers, use no words or historical dates, just jibberish and numbers. The longer the password the saffer you are.

Last edited:

kwendland

May 18, 2012
thanks for the quick reply. I was actually just playing around with APP Lock. Is there a setting for a word? I just see the numeric keys. Or is that Data Lock with the word & number?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
One of them I think also has a pattern lock but I'm not sure that either of them have a word, in fact I may have been in error on my previous post about the password. it may be all numbers. If I am wrong I apologize.

However there is this page that has other apps on it, one of them may have what you want. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=app+lock&c=apps

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
One of the most, if not the most important app to have control over, imo, is the Play app. It can be protected with a PIN number lock to keep people from downloading things you didn't want downloaded. Just a thought.

kwendland

May 18, 2012
Thanks. I have two right now we are trying out. I think the way the first was hacked was that I didn't change the default password and of course it will tell you what the original password is just by clicking on a button.

hfksdkf

Jul 24, 2012
i do not know, but i can give u an advice, you'd better transmit ur important documents to ur pc, then maybe you can delete them from the tablet. If ur students saw something, that will be too bad.

jvinga1

May 24, 2011
Have a look at the TabPilot product for managing classroom tablets. It has a cloud-based web interface where you can configure and lock down the entire group of tablets, choose which apps students can see and use, and even push apps to the devices. You don't even have to have Google Play configured on the devices since the apps are pushed from TabPilot to the whole group. Students are locked out of settings and everything else except the apps you choose. My company created the product earlier this year after trying to help a school find something to do just what you're talking about and not finding anything else on the market to do it. The product is in beta right now.

The web site is TabPilot | Classroom Tablet Management System for Android. Tablets in Schools

I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about the system.