Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
apple-patent-7657849-swipe-to-unlock-drawing-001.gif

Apparently, the US Patent & Trademark Office recently granted the "slide-to-unlock" patent to Apple. This could potentially portend a slew of new lawsuits from Apple against Android manufacturers, especially since so many Android devices use this type of unlock system. It's important to note that this patent was actually applied for back in 2005, so it's not something Apple was being a sneaky about. Here's a tidbit from the patent,
A device with a touch-sensitive display may be unlocked via gestures performed on the touch-sensitive display. The device is unlocked if contact with the display corresponds to a predefined gesture for unlocking the device. The device displays one or more unlock images with respect to which the predefined gesture is to be performed in order to unlock the device. The performance of the predefined gesture with respect to the unlock image may include moving the unlock image to a predefined location and/or moving the unlock image along a predefined path. The device may also display visual cues of the predefined gesture on the touch screen to remind a user of the gesture. In addition, there is a need for sensory feedback to the user regarding progress towards satisfaction of a user input condition that is required for the transition to occur.
The folks credited for the invention are iOS chief, Scott Forstall and Apple engineers Imran Chaudhri, Bas Ording, Freddy Allen Anzures, Marcel Van Os, Stephen O. Lemay and Greg Christie. At this point, it is unknown as to whether the new unlock mechanism in Android 4.0/ICS will be impacted by this, but we will keep you informed as things develop.

Source: Android.net via 9to5Mac

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I doubt Android Tablets will be affected by this, as they don't have a "predefined" unlock area. You can unlock in any direction.

However, I'm not sure about phones...and Tablets might be affected with ICS.

This is again one of the dumbest patents in the world. Who, really, would grant this? It doesn't even make sense. Also, why is it only Apple who gets these patents? I've never heard of anyone else getting anything like this.
Anyway, hopefully it can't be used against Android.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
The fact that it's software related makes this irrelevant. Remove and replace. Google already has a pattern code unlock. Big deal IMO.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Yeah, but that also means they would have to remove slide-to-unlock which would be really annoying to many. I want it!
But again, I'm hoping that it isn't 'infringing' even if the functionality can be removed.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
While I think Apple products (iPhone, iPad, etc.) are phenomenal. the are also ridiculously expensive. If Apple made an inexpensive tablet it would sell like hotcakes. Instead, they keep making their pricey products and sue anybody and everybody who sells anything similar to what they have, especially if it's cheaper. Greedy little SOBs arent they.

Horus

Oct 27, 2011
More BS, this is ridiculous. How on earth can this even be patented, it is total madness. When will the patent be made to ban Apples being called Apples? Come on the people of Somerset rise up and get the Apple removed from Apple. lol

valkrider

Nov 5, 2010
What is the matter with the US patent office granting this patent. They obviously don't have a clue about what is being patented. They must have been at the back of the queue when common sense was given out.

Yodaman

Oct 24, 2011
I think Apple has a great ecosystem and great products, but as long as they maintain their anti-competitive practices I will do everything in my tiny little ecosystem (family) to ensure we don’t support their behavior. Competition is good unless you are Apple. This is a total abuse of the patient system.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
So now Google can patent face recognition lock screen. WOOHOO :eek:

/sarcasm

Hopefully! However, see it is part of an open-source project I doubt it could be done as the code is freely available to everyone else. I'm not tool site, don't understand specific details like that in the patent system.

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
"In addition, there is a need for sensory feedback to the user regarding progress towards satisfaction of a user input condition that is required for the transition to occur."

Source: Android.net via 9to5Mac

The patent has more holes than swiss cheese. Since their patent requires sensory feedback, and since no Android device I know of does anything other than simply turn on, the patent... AS WRITTEN... in not violated.

przlboy3

Nov 18, 2011
What's funny is I had slide to unlock on my LG voyager before there ever was an ip****