Apple's Request for Injunction to Restrict Amazon's Use of "Appstore" is Denied

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
AmazonAppstoreLogo_thumb-1.jpg

There has been so much drama regarding the Apple vs. Samsung lawsuit, it was easy to forget that Apple also sued Amazon for the use of the word "Appstore" in their title, Amazon Appstore. It looks like the first round of legal fighting turned out in Amazon's favor, for now. Although it was of little surprise that the judge ruled this way, Apple's request for injunction to stop the use of the word "Appstore" was denied. The standard of proof for enforcing this type of injunction is set necessarily high. The trademark infringement must be so obvious that there would generally be no argument about consumers' likely confusion. The judge in this case felt that Apple did not meet this burden of proof. The next part of the legal battle will be going to trial, and the date for that is set for October 2012.

Wow.... that's a long way off! :icon_eek:

Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Honestly, as someone who was into the PalmOS stuff before they were also phones and currently owns a WinMo 6.5 phone who's Backup and Market services have been cut off before my 2-year contract is even up, I can't be more ready to go to an Android Phone.

I'm well aware that I'm a geek and a 1%-er and don't represent the mass of the buying public, but Windows Phone 7 is merely an exercise in control on MS's part, and I won't be a part of it. They can copy Apple's model all they want, they won't get my money.

I EAGERLY await the chance to buy an Android smartphone based on my experiences with Android tablets.