Archos 70 IT Frozen/Crashed .....

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
My Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB is now completely frozen.

The only thing it will do is Reboot! That's it ...

I can't used any of the functions. Every time it reboots, it hangs up/is frozen. None of the active icons work. It just stays at the Desktop.

This problem started after I followed these instructions:

1) Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market (Clear Cache then 'Force Stop' -- DO NOT clear data)
2) Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')

After I finished #1, the Archos seemed to be ok. Then, when I finished #2, the Archos hung up, and has stayed hung up since.

I tried connecting the Archos to my MacPro 2.93GHz. The Archos doesn't show up on my Mac's desktop. When I first got the Archos, I was able to connect to my MacPro just fine. I transferred some files from my MacPro to the Archos, and was able to open them up with no problem (videos, pictures and pdf files).

Before doing the "Setting" procedure, I was on the Internet with the Archos, had updated the Firmware, was running Android 2.2.

It looks like I have no choice but to send this thing back to J&R.

I really like what the Archos is supposed to do! I'd like to get another one and see if it will function properly. Hoping that I just got a lemon ....

Anyone else having serious problems with their Archos 70 IT?

Oh yes, I only got this Archos yesterday around 11:45 a.m. I never dropped the tablet, and nobody else ever touched it. By midnight, it was toast!

Last edited:

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Well, after erasing the hard drive on the Archos 70, and starting all over, that seemed to do the trick! Archos was running pretty smooth. Left it charging last night. Went to turn it on this morning, but it was already on ... Strange ... I turned it off last night. Guess why you plug in the charger, that automatically boots the tablet.

Opened the browser, then the Archos froze. It's down to less than 90% charge, and I still havn't been able to do anything.

I've connected the USB, hoping that I could back up the files, but the Archos seems to be stuck .... Hard drive keeps spinning, then stops. Then spins for awhile, then stops, then spins for awhile, then stops.

Several menus popped up asking me to do something (can't remember!).

I can't click on any menus or icons. Wait ... System Monitor is opening, extremely slow ...

I have an idea that maybe these apps could be the issue .... ???

*** Advanced Task Cleaner Pro
*** Advanced Task Killer
*** Advance Task Manager

Even after installing all three of these apps yesterday though, the Archos was functioning normally. Didn't have any issues until this morning. Maybe it takes awhile for those apps to kick in ...

Seems like I've read somewhere that these apps have cause issues ....

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Yeah, this Archos 70 is definitely hung up .... Can't do anything.

I'm going to erase the hard drive and start all over again .... for the third time ....

What a freakin' hassle ..... I've never had this much trouble with any computer device ... !!!

Is this normal for PC devices?

I wonder if people have any serious problems like this with Apple devices (iPods, iPhone, iTouch, iPad) ... ???

I wish that Apple made a small tablet, like 5 inches or 7 inches ....

snoopysnoop

Jan 7, 2011
you're not alone... similar issues and am trying to figure out what is going on. I haven't been brave enough to erase the hard disk though because still have not got the time to back up the already-transferred media files.

I'm now doing the updating library thing, last time around it worked. Figured that I cannot leave the screen off after 1 or 2 minutes as it takes the machine to some sort of a sleep mode which cannot be waken up!

How has it been for you after 2 weeks now?

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
you're not alone... similar issues and am trying to figure out what is going on. I haven't been brave enough to erase the hard disk though because still have not got the time to back up the already-transferred media files.

I'm now doing the updating library thing, last time around it worked. Figured that I cannot leave the screen off after 1 or 2 minutes as it takes the machine to some sort of a sleep mode which cannot be waken up!

How has it been for you after 2 weeks now?

I had to reinitialize my Archos 70 again, for the 4th time. Did the Firmware Update, which only caused more problems ... I did get the answer (I think?) for one of the issues. My WiFi connection was dropping every few minutes. Somebody on another forum showed me the pathway to hidden settings, which seems to have solved the issue ....

Still cannot turn off the screen (worked fine before the update).

Desktop still disappears when I turn the tablet from landscape to portrait or visa versa. Sometimes takes a minute or so to come back. Sometimes the screen just goes black for awhile ...

Tablet unexpectedly shut down (I wasn't even touching the thing!).

I'm hoping that the next Firmware Update will resolve these and other issues ....

I still like my Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB. I just started using Contacts app and input lots of names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

I've been listening to Internet Radio (Tunein) for several hours now with no problems, so maybe those hidden settings worked ....

Doc

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, this Archos 70 is definitely hung up .... Can't do anything.

I'm going to erase the hard drive and start all over again .... for the third time ....

What a freakin' hassle ..... I've never had this much trouble with any computer device ... !!!

Is this normal for PC devices?

I wonder if people have any serious problems like this with Apple devices (iPods, iPhone, iTouch, iPad) ... ???

I wish that Apple made a small tablet, like 5 inches or 7 inches ....

Did you try these is in the User Guide:

If your ARCHOS does not respond correctly or does not start properly, you can try to remedy this situation with a system recovery. Be very careful with this as there are options to erase all the data on your device.

20.3.1. To enter into the Recovery screen

- Turn off the device and wait 10 seconds.
- Press and hold the volume + button while powering on the device.
- Keep the volume + pressed until the Recovery mode starts (white screen).
- To move from one option to another, use the volume buttons. To select an option, press the ON/OFF button.

20.3.2. Recovery mode options

No: Cancels the system recovery.
Update firmware: Allows you to connect your device to a computer in order to copy the latest .AOS file (operating system) to your device and then install it.
Repair System
: Attempts to repair the file structure on the internal memory. This does not erase any data.
No: Return to main recovery screen.
Force Touchscreen Calibration:
Select this, set your device down, start the calibration, and don't touch it. It will re-calibrate the screen. After the calibration is complete, select No to leave the recovery screen.
Check Disk: Check and repair the system partition if damaged.
Start USB MSC: Allows you to connect your device to a PC to access the internal memory.
Format System: Formats the internal memory. All data (music, photos, videos, etc.), applications and settings are erased.