Archos Unveils Low-Priced Android Tablets, $149 8-inch and $199 10.1-inch

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Why would they release lower-spec models, only to supersede them in a month or so? I would think that will lead to a lot of the confusion associated with the Archos 7 HT version 1/2. New tablets REALLY should not be coming out any more with less than Android 2.2 (IMO).

I would compare the new 7- and 8-inch Coby's due to be released in March (we will see...) to these, and on paper at least the Coby's should blow them away for similar pricing (although a bit higher if reports are accurate, but maybe announcements like this will exert pressure on Coby to cut those prices) with 1 Ghz CPU's and Android 2.3/Gingerbread.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...t-new-cortex-a8-coby-tablets-cobyusa-com.html

Then again, how would the 8-inch compare to the white Pandigital Novel/VM Cruz Reader? If I heard Charbax correctly in the video, at least there is USB host, which would be a clear advantage over the wPDN/CR.

Last edited:

kid-a429

Dec 8, 2010
Why would they release lower-spec models, only to supersede them in a month or so? I would think that will lead to a lot of the confusion associated with the Archos 7 HT version 1/2. New tablets REALLY should not be coming out any more with less than Android 2.2 (IMO).

I would compare the new 7- and 8-inch Coby's due to be released in March (we will see...) to these, and on paper at least the Coby's should blow them away for similar pricing (although a bit higher if reports are accurate, but maybe announcements like this will exert pressure on Coby to cut those prices) with 1 Ghz CPU's and Android 2.3/Gingerbread.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...t-new-cortex-a8-coby-tablets-cobyusa-com.html

Then again, how would the 8-inch compare to the white Pandigital Novel/VM Cruz Reader? If I heard Charbax correctly in the video, at least there is USB host, which would be a clear advantage over the wPDN/CR.

well lets think about this

1. a cheaper tab will be graet for parents looking for tablets for their kids to play with
2. a cheap tab to hack on
3. yeah it will take another few months for the new ones to come out but ill wait for that to get a 10.1" tab for 199.

yeah theres know bluetooth but i could get a usb adapter for that
and according to charbox it may even have 2.3 when the new rockchip processors are put in

plus there are home tablet versions of the 70 and the 101 coming to!

it would be a dumb move not to invest in archos/arnova

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Good idea for a cash grab before the Cortex A8 tablets rain-in next month or so. I hate Rockchip RK2818 devices though. They wont be good tablets to hack, and are mostly suited for ereader use. Rockchip is notorious for locked down filesystems.

I wouldn't buy stock in Archos particularly because of this announcement. There's a market for these crappy devices in Europe, but this is just sad to see from a consumer's perspective.

mr.ofunk

Feb 26, 2011
Perhaps the profits from these bargain bin devices will help them launch a newer product further down the line that will actually compete with the big dogs. I imagine they will be seeing huge profits from these, as the components are in fact so out dated, and probably cost them next to nothing.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Meh, the idea of getting one for the kids to play with is a good one, I can see that.

Besides, the majority of the market doesn't have this kind of disposable income. Lower-priced models allow for cheaper budgets to get in on the Android tablet-toy craze.

Also Archos is a French maker, their primary market is probably in Europe anyway, USA is just another large market where they can also sell.

Last edited:

gobbledygook

Mar 16, 2011
Is there any news when Arnova devices will be available? I have found on Amazon Arnova 10 Tablet for 199 USD. I wonder, is this it?

Last edited: