Are SD cards portable?

trippap

Mar 13, 2011
I have a rooted Nook Color running under Cyanogenmod 7 with a 32GB external SD card installed. Every app that I can move to the SD card has been moved there, and I also use AppMonster Pro to keep backups of all of my apps. I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and will be putting a 32GB SD card into it. My question is about compatibility of what's on my present 32GB card in the Nook Color with my new Galaxy. I expect some files, such as the AppMonster backup files, to be fully compatible with AppMonster running on the Galaxy, but what about other files and directories that are created when I use an SD card with the NC. If I plugged the SD card from the NC into the Galaxy, would anything work? Would it be a dangerous thing to do?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you using a bootable CM7 card or CM7 on internal with a straight data SD card? If it is bootable it will not work in other devices. I don't know about AppMonster but if you have a data card and use that in another tablet to restore those backups it shouldn't be an issues. Where you might run into issues is having different versions of Android on the devices and the apps that correspond to one version of Android and not the other.

For example CM7 is Gingerbread so it will have Gingerbread apps. If the new device is Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich those apps may not be optimized or compatible with those versions of Android.

trippap

Mar 13, 2011
I flashed the memory of the NC and the SD card is only for data storage and backups. I use a separate bootable SD card when I need to boot up CWM from an external source. The versions of OS are different, as the NC is running Gingerbread and the Galaxy ICS. I back up from my NC using both Titanium Pro and the app backups provided by AppMonster. I also keep copies of ROM backups from ROM Manager on the SD card, but understand that that is an image of my NC and not useful for the Galaxy. I'm just looking for the best way to get apps and app data, for example my achievements in Angry Birds or Grave Defense, onto my new Galaxy.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I believe you should be able to restore apps and data across devices in that case. Most things will probably work but some won't. Though it is more tedious you can try restoring one app at a time to see if you have any issues as you go. If you do, you may want to uninstall that particular app.