Asus Also Announced Their next-gen MeMo Pad 8 and 10 at IFA

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
asus-memopad-8.jpg
asus-memopad-10.jpg

Here's the scoop on the other new Android tablets that Asus announced at IFA this year. They revealed their next-generation MeMo 8 and MeMo 10 tablets. Here's a quote from their press release with the specs,

ASUS today announced two new affordable Android tablets, the MeMO Pad 8 and MeMO Pad 10, with an 8-inch and 10-inch screen, respectively. Both tablets feature a 1280 x 800 resolution, a quad-core processor and microSD card storage.

Designed for easy one-handed use, ASUS MeMO Pad™ 8 measures just 127mm from side to side and weighs only 350g, yet packs an 8-inch display that gives 30% more screen space than a 7-inch tablet. ASUS MeMO Pad™ 10 is equally portable, at just 522g.

Vibrant IPS displays and ASUS SonicMaster-enhanced sound
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 (ME180A) and MeMO Pad 10 (ME102A) both feature an LED-backlit display with a 1280 x 800 resolution and IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology for a bright and vibrant image, with wide viewing angles and great daylight visibility. High-quality dual speakers with ASUS SonicMaster audio technology give great sound quality, too.

MeMO Pad 8 also features a rear 5-megapixel camera that captures great quality photos, while MeMO Pad 10 features a 2-megapixel rear camera. Both models also capture 720p HD video and have a 1.2-megapixel front camera for video chat.

Powered by 1.6GHz quad-core processors for a perfect balance of multi-tasking performance and energy efficiency, MeMO Pad 8 has up to nine hours battery life with HD video playback and MeMO Pad 10 up to 9.5 hours. MeMO Pad 8 has 8GB of onboard storage, while MeMO Pad 10 has 8GB or 16GB. Both models also feature a microSDXC card slot.

As we can see, the Transformer Pad Infinity isn't the only Asus tablet to up the ante. Asus didn't share any details on pricing or availability for these two tabs just yet, but that should be forthcoming fairly soon. These two tabs are likely designed to cover the mid-range and budget-friendly market segments. Whihch of these new Asus-made tabs piques your interest the most?

Source: Asus

Nemix

Sep 5, 2011
The next-gen MeMo Pad series could be either sporting a Tegra 3 chip @ 1.6Ghz (same as Prime Infinity) or the new RK3188 chip @ 1.6Ghz by Rockchip.

Either one would suffice since the refresh MeMo Pad 10 is geared towards the lower end to mid range buyers however, the newer RK3188 by Rockchip is faster, uses less power, and runs cooler than the Tegra 3 by NVIDIA so maybe ASUS might choose the latter for the next-gen MeMo Pad series.

Still waiting for final specs and price on this one cause the next-gen MeMo Pad 10 is still a contender for my consideration especially if it gets the new RK3188 quad-core chip and is priced @ $249 for 16GB.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Either chip would work for me, really. After all, what other brand-name contenders do you see in that particular segment of the marketplace. Samsung GALAXY Tab 3? Acer Iconia A3? Toshiba xcite Pure? Am I missing any?

Nemix

Sep 5, 2011
The Rockchip is cheaper and faster than the Tegra 3 chip not to mention it has a smaller 28nm die, the only thing is firmware bugs are still present on the Rockchip which could change if the new Memo Pad 10 is good seller and ASUS takes firmware updates under their own development.

In all seriousness I could care less if the back camera has been downgraded to 2MP from 5MP on current Memo Smart 10, if downgrading the back camera provides a faster chip and a lower price at launch say $229 or under for 16GB then I'm all in...

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The Rockchip is cheaper and faster than the Tegra 3 chip not to mention it has a smaller 28nm die, the only thing is firmware bugs are still present on the Rockchip which could change if the new Memo Pad 10 is good seller and ASUS takes firmware updates under their own development.

In all seriousness I could care less if the back camera has been downgraded to 2MP from 5MP on current Memo Smart 10, if downgrading the back camera provides a faster chip and a lower price at launch say $229 or under for 16GB then I'm all in...

Lots of 'ifs' in that scenario. Regardless, at $229, I would definitely be a buyer, also.

MyDroidAndMe

Sep 8, 2013
don't like rockchip, tegra 3 is just fine though,Regardless, at $229, I would definitely be a buyer, also. (same as Prime Infinity) or the new RK3188 chip @ 1.6Ghz by Rockchip.hmmm i think quality was great!!! i've been used it yesterday.:rolleyes:

Nemix

Sep 5, 2011
Searching online lately I found the ASUS Memo Pad 8 (ME180A) and 10 (ME102A) refresh will either get a MediaTek or Rockchip 1.6Ghz quad-core processor and not a Tegra 3 running at 1.6Ghz.

Both the MediaTek and Rockchip chips are a 28nm die process and will be paired with a Mali-400 MP4 graphics GPU.

The launch price for the tablets will be $179 for a Memo Pad 8 16GB (still unsure at this point but might be lower at $149) and $229 for Memo Pad 10 16GB refresh (again unsure at this point but the launch price is almost guaranteed to be no more than $229).

At those prices I'm considering looking into getting the Memo Pad 8 which I think will sell like hot cakes and be the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and iPad Mini alternative.

:eek:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The 8-inch Pad display gives 30% more screen space than the 7-inch Pad, so paying only $30 more is in itself a great deal. But, if the price is lowered further to $149, that would mean that the 7 incher would drop to around $119. And what about the 8GB Asus MeMO Pad HD which is currently priced at $99? How low can one go?

Nemix

Sep 5, 2011
I'd pay $179 for a 16GB Memo Pad 8 and $229 for a 16GB Memo Pad 10 refresh, any lower would just be a bonus from ASUS.

I've already made up my mind to wait for these low budget tablets since in reality buying an expensive tablet for just basic use and casual gaming is a waste on money IMHO, I'm pretty sure regardless of owning an expensive or budget tablet most tablet users still turn to their laptop or desktop PC for real applications, games and work.