ASUS Preparing Android Based Tablet - Eee Pad, for March 2011

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
5VTBR.png

CEO of Asustek Jerry Shen stated that they will be launching an Android tablet for under $399 in March. ASUS has been working on an Android based smartphone, and will start putting more effort into creating an Android based tablet.

While the specifications of the device were not revealed, Engadget speculates that it will launch as a variant of the 10-inch Eee Pad EP101TC, which was previously reported to have dumped Windows Embedded Compact for Android by Engadget after being announced at Computex earlier this year.

We expect many changes to be made to the EP101TC form factor if it indeed launches as an Android device, such as Android dedicated buttons. Still, we finally have confirmation that there will be a real push for the Android tablet market from yet another top electronics manufacturer.

Sources
Engadget
PC World

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I think these might prove to be pretty popular. Think we need to reorganize the Asus section ?

H.P.

Aug 13, 2010
May I suggest not to have a section for a device until it becomes available? There will be enough real devices to fill up several screens' worth of listing, let alone for a vaporware product that won't exist until 7 months from now. One reason why I avoid Slatedroid is the tendency to create separate sections for everything and every device imaginable. It's not too bad now (see XDA for a taster), but it will get worse once the tablet market fills up.

Re: AsusPads - March '11 is a long time from now. If the Joe Blows can get a tablet from XYZmart by this Xmas, I'm not sure how much enthusiasm will be left for the Johny-come-latelies. There'll be a lot of competition by next year. No guarantee for Asus or any co.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
May I suggest not to have a section for a device until it becomes available? There will be enough real devices to fill up several screens' worth of listing, let alone for a vaporware product that won't exist until 7 months from now. One reason why I avoid Slatedroid is the tendency to create separate sections for everything and every device imaginable. It's not too bad now (see XDA for a taster), but it will get worse once the tablet market fills up.

Re: AsusPads - March '11 is a long time from now. If the Joe Blows can get a tablet from XYZmart by this Xmas, I'm not sure how much enthusiasm will be left for the Johny-come-latelies. There'll be a lot of competition by next year. No guarantee for Asus or any co.

I think that's a valid point.

Anyhow we have the section up, but we'll tuck it away and out of sight until we get more interest, like the way it has been.

It's really pointless to speculate too much about this. ASUS is clearly holding off on their Android implementation until Android 3.0, which is a smart move.

H.P.

Aug 13, 2010
I subscribe to the school of thought that a forum should be an integral whole, rather than fragmented into disparate parts. Discussions feed off each other, and there is a synergy when they're together. When each is partitioned off into its specific niche, then not only do you lose the synergy, whatever insight gleaned from a discussion is locked into that specific partition, and not available to those outside it.

Brand and chip type aside, most of these tablets have a lot in common, if nothing else than they all run Android. Many of the problems, findings, and insights are applicable to all tablets. By shunting each into its little cubicle, you lose that.

I understand the tendency to make each brand having its own named section. The idea is that users see their tablet as being "covered" and will gather at their very own specific forum. While that may be, it doesn't do the site as a whole any good.

Slatedroid's organization is a mess. To find worthwhile info, I have to jump into each of the dozen or so forums. Most forums are dead, or are populated with newbies with the same-old questions. Other than the handful of techies who post relevant info (you xaueious are one), it's mostly a waste of time. Put simply, it's not attracting many seasoned techies, which is the main reason why anyone who care to read a forum. May be it will happen, but may be there'll be other sites with more thoughtful admins.

Sorry to wax conceptual. I know the notion of "community synergy" is a bit esoteric to digest. I'm simply putting this out as something to think about.