AT&T/T-Mobile Merger Deal Opposed by Public Interest Groups in Letter to FCC

What do you think of the AT&T/T-Mobile Proposed Merger? Is it good, bad, or neither?

• The AT&T/T-Mobile Merger is a good thing for consumers, and will create jobs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The AT&T/T-Mobile Merger is a bad thing for consumers, will reduce jobs, & stifle innovation.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The deal is neither good nor bad... i like to take a Zen approach to things. :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
fcc_commissioners.jpg

A number of public interest advocacy groups have recently written a letter to the FCC in opposition to the proposed AT&T and T-Mobile merger. Some of the groups that signed the letter include the Consumers Union, Public Knowledge, the Open Technology Initiative of the New America Foundation, the National Hispanic Media Coalition, Future of Music Coalition, Media Access Project, and the Free Press. Their letter requests FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski to “convene a series of field hearings around the country to hear from the people who could be most affected by the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile.” The letter further points out that the advocacy groups believe the acquisition would give AT&T control of nearly 80% of the U.S. wireless market and that, “prices would rise, jobs would be lost, and innovation would suffer.” The letter also indicated the merger is a "matter of great public concern" and that the FCC should hold the hearings before September to solicit more comment from the public and engage with consumers. "If approved, the merger would have serious repercussions around the country. The commission should not consider this merger without seeking direct input from those most impacted."

Let's hear from you guys. Do you think this merger is a good thing, a bad thing, or neither?

Source: BGR and Advocacy Group Letter .pdf

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Mergers are always bad for consumers because they reduce the choice and competition that drives down prices and spurs innovation. There was a damned good reason the US government broke up "Ma Bell" back in the day.

These "megatelecomedia" (I think I just coined a term!) mergers are just putting "Ma Bell" back together along with the anti-competitive price-gouging practices that will come with it.