FCC Requests Comments from the Public Regarding AT&T/T-Mobile Merger

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
FCC-logo_thumb_att_tmobile.png

The United States FCC is currently considering the AT&T acquisition of T-Mobile, and has created an online Electronic Comment Filing System, to find out what the general public thinks of it. You can head over to the link below and leave your opinion on whether the AT&T buyout of T-Mobile would be good or bad for you as a consumer and the industry as a whole. We don't want to steer you in a certain direction, but most of us hold the opinion that this merger would be bad for the industry and consumers. The folks at AndroidPolice summed it up nicely with the following points:
  • A lack of competition resulting from fewer, larger carriers may result in less innovation and increased prices.
  • Both carriers’ 4G HSPA+ bands are incompatible, risking loss of coverage for T-Mobile handsets once AT&T LTE starts rolling out
  • Only one major carrier will be buying GSM handsets, meaning they will have the lion’s share of control over the GSM devices that make it to the U.S. market
Ultimately, with AT&T in control of more Androids than ever, it could also hurt the developing Android market as well, since AT&T doesn't exactly have the greatest track record with Androids or customer service.

Regardless of your perspective, sound off in this thread and go make it public at the FCC link. Make sure you choose The AT&T docket #11-65.

FCC Electronic Consumer Filing System
Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice

fbales

May 5, 2010
Hey, thanks for the link. I'm really against this merger because I don't think there's enough competition now. Remember why ATT was broken up the first time? It's not the same, exactly, but it's not much better. Limited choice of providers, and high prices.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I agree. Att is becoming a monopoly. If it wasn't for their crappy coverage, they would be.

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
I agree. Att is becoming a monopoly. If it wasn't for their crappy coverage, they would be.

Really? where do you live? Every says oh att has crappy coverage and thats BS for a fact! I toured the nation all last summer working for a band and probably seen 48 of the 50 states and went to Canada and almost never went without service. And most the time had service where alot of the others people with Tmobile or verizion or sprint didnt have it. So just because you had a dead spot in your house or some crap doesnt mean they have bad coverage by any means