ATTN: Semi-Bricked CMP738B (Restoring Guide)

patcrizack

Feb 8, 2012
So after hours upon hours of searching how to fix my semi-bricked CMP738B, I stumbled upon a guide that actually worked!
Since I haven't seen this guide around here I decided to post this so other in my position could have it, and implement it.

[h=3]Firmware Flashing procedure for Rockchip based tablets[/h]
  1. Select and download the right program and driver to flash your device.

If your tablet is based on a Rockchip 2808 CPU, such as: Archos 7 HTv1
    >> Use this archive: RKAndroid_ENG.zip with Rockchip 28Driver and RKAndroidDM.exe
    If your tablet is based on a Rockchip 2818 CPU, such as: Archos 7 HTv2, Archos 7c HT, Archos 70b eReader, Archos 70c eReader,Arnova 8, Arnova 10:
    >> Use this archive: W9_0.18.20101201.214043.zip with Rockchip 281xDriver andRKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe
  2. Download the firmware you want to flash, (make sure the firmware is the right one, made for your tablet model)
  3. Unpack both the flashing program and firmware archives on your desktop
  4. Power off your tablet
  5. Connect your tablet to your computer thru USB cable
  6. Start your tablet in reset mode, by putting the power slider to the right position and pushing a paperclip in the reset pinhole for few seconds. Note this varies from one model to another (see below)
  7. Your computer should detect a new device
  8. Install the Rockchip device driver on your computer (find in the archive from the flashing program directory on your desktop where you unpacked the flashing program archive) You should select the appropriate driver for your Tablet and computer Operating System.
    28Driver: for Archos 7 HTv1, Archos 70b eReader
    281xDriver: for Archos 7 HTv2, Archos 7c HT, Arnova 8, Arnova 10:
  9. Start the flashing program (RKAndroidDM.exe or RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe), it should show the [1] zone colored in green, see below:
  10. Make sure “image” checkbox is selected and select the unpacked firmware to flash (.img file extension)
  11. Click on upgrade, it should take a few minutes to flash your tablet, the green rectangle should turn orange while showing a percentage for the flashing progress.
  12. When finished the tablet should restart with the newly installed firmware
  13. We recommend that you proceed in a full reset of the tablet right after a firmware update.
    The reset procedure depends on the tablet model.
Taken from "Flashing a firmware on Rockchip CPU based devices: Archos HT (7 and 8) and Arnova tablets | ARCTABLET BLOG"

and further detail of the actual computer process

Restoring and Upgrading The Tablet Data and ROM
by Tika Carr
March 14, 2011
Last Update: June 19, 2011
Before you have any troubles, I hope you have followed all the instructions in Backing Up The Tablet Data and ROM so that if anything happens you can restore things to where they were when you first got the tablet (or at least to a working setup). Once done, you can always restore your system so that things will work again. This is especially useful if you get an "android core" error where even tapping "Force Close" doesn't seem to let you gain access. It will just keep coming back. With a good backup of the ROM, apps and data, you can get the tablet working again. Also I'll cover ways you can even upgrade the software (ROM) of the tablet to add features and make it work better overall.
The Restoration Process
First, be sure you have completely powered off the tablet and turned off the switch on the top of the tablet itself. Then follow these steps. Be sure you have the ROM image file you intend to install (as in the one you saved if you did the backup process, or a ROM you downloaded), and the RKUtils package extracted to your PC's hard drive. If you followed the steps in the Backup article mentioned previously, you'll have everything. Just copy it to your PC's hard drive if you haven't done so already. I'll assume this is the method you used and reference the directories from the backups made in that article.
Plug the small part of the USB cable into the smaller USB port on the tablet. Do not plug it into the PC yet!
Hold down both the Home and Power buttons. Keep holding them down while you plug in the larger end of the USB cable into the PC computer. When you hear the computer confirm the USB connection, release the buttons on the tablet.
The computer will ask for a driver or attempt to find one. This is a necessary step so that it will find the tablet for the ROM update. Let it go on to the point where it can't find a driver.
In Vista, it'll ask to locate a driver and other options. Go ahead and click to Locate a driver. It won't but it'll take awhile. Afterwards you will get more options. Click on "Browse my computer..." option.
Navigate to the CRAIG_BKU\Utils\RKUtils\281xDriver\x86\vista directory or XP or whatever your OS. If you're using a 64-bit there are drivers for that. Just navigate the RKUtils\281xDriver directory to find what you need. Install the drivers from the appropriate directory and wait for it to finish.
Run the CRAIG_BKU\Utils\RKAndroidBatchUpgrade\RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe Program.
In Setting, be sure "Image" is checked. Browse to the image file you want to upgrade to (as in our CMP738a-DefaultROM.img file we made when we did the backups) and open it.
Some like to have Erase User Section checked if you have a system that you can't get into. Some say there are certain issues with doing that. I had success in keeping this option checked.
Click the Upgrade button. The "1" area will turn from green to yellow flashing and will show progress. When done it should show 1 upgrade and 0 fail in the text box. Click Exit.
Unplug tablet from the PC computer.
Turn on switch and start up the tablet normally.
The tablet will start and say "Recovery System" and version number, then Formatting DATA:. Allow time for it to do the system recovery process. When done the system will automatically reboot. It might take awhile to boot the first time. Give it some time. The first time after recovery it will take longer than normal to boot because it's setting things up for the first time after recovery.
After doing the on-screen calibration (don't worry if it at first doesn't succeed) you get to the home screen. You'll notice it's exactly as it was when you bought it but if you had data on your micro SD card, that will have been retained, and not deleted! Now we can get your apps back by installing them via the apkinstaller. Or if you backed them up with Titanium Backup you can use that. Also don't forget to copy the files and folders from the CRAIG_BKU\SD_Card to the TABLETPC drive and the CRAIG_BKU\Internal_Memory to the ROCK_CHIP drive.
Reboot your tablet and it should be good to go!
Alternative ROMs
There are other ROMs you can use other than the default one. There are great folks out there who work hard to enhance this tablet. Usually these ROMs are rooted and include Android Market.

Taken from "http://bytebin.net/mobile/cmp738a/restore.html"

I hope this helps, I know it helped me.