Best DVD to Android Converter Review - Play DVD movies on your Android Devices Freely

Aug 18, 2011
Watching DVD movies on DVD players at home has never been a problem for us. The question is, what if I’d like to enjoy my favorite movies when on the road? Bringing several discs along tend to be inconvenient, not to mention they jump on the most crucial scenes and are prone to scratches. Now that tablet computers have rocketed into the mainstream, there’s an easy way taking DVD movies alongside, i.e., ripping DVD and putting movies onto an Android based tablet. This guide takes a review to the top DVD Rippers and figure out which is the best DVD Ripper software for Android tablet and smartphone users.

Here is a list of top 3 DVD rippers:

Magic DVD Ripper

WinX DVD Ripper

Pavtube DVD Ripper (Currently on sale 30% off during Pavtube's Thanksgiving Special)

I’ll evaluate the 3 DVD rippers and compare them in aspect of interface design, input format, DVD structure support, Android format support, ripping speed, and video effect to decide which would be the best DVD ripper for Android tablet and smartphone users. The guide concerns on DVD to Android conversion so DVD backup and other irrelevant features will not be discussed.

Test Environments:

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU

E5300 @2.6GHz

2.59GHz, 1.96GB of RAM

Windows XP Professional

In order to make sure the DVD rippers keep up with latest encryption method, the tests are done with a most recent DVD Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011), which is released on March 27, 2012.

1. Interface Design (10 points)

Magic DVD Ripper: Magic’s interface is simple and easy to understand, but I find that movies are getting squashed when preview effect. One point in Magic favor is that it automatically reads the currently inserted DVD.

magic-dvd-ripper-interface.jpg

magic-dvd-ripper-preview.jpg

WinX DVD Ripper: WinX comes up with a gray interface with all the advanced settings at bottom, making the software looks busy and complicated for beginners.

winx-dvd-ripper-interface.jpg

Pavtube DVD Ripper: Despite of the annoying red and black color, Pavtube has an intuitive interface that is easier to start with. The preview window is a high point.

pavtube-dvd-ripper-interface.jpg

interface-score.jpg

2. Input Format (10 points)

Magic DVD Ripper detects and imports DVD from optical drive automatically. If you have a DVD backup on hard drive, you can select and load the VIDEO_TS folder instead.

magic-dvd-ripper-source.jpg

WinX DVD Ripper seems smarter; you can whether load a DVD or a VIDEO_TS folder at the very start. However, the software failed to find the correct main movie when I did test with Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011) DVD, all it finds are extra movie trailers (e.g. Ice Age 4 as it shows in below sceenshot). Anyway, you should not expect much to a free tool.

winx-dvd-ripper-source.jpg

Comparing with Magic and WinX, Pavtube DVD Ripper supports more file types: DVD, VIDEO_TS structure, DVD ISO and IFO.

pavtube-dvd-ripper-source.jpg

source-score.jpg

3. DVD Structure Support (10 points)

A good DVD Ripper lets you decide which titles/chapters to keep in which language you like. Compare in the following chart how the top 3 DVD rippers support DVD structure:

dvd-structure-support-comparison.jpg

4. Output Format (20 points)

Magic DVD Ripper- Magic features adequate common video formats (MP4, AVI, WMV) for average users, but 32 formats are not enough for Android fans. As Galaxy Tab owner I would like to put DVD movies onto the 10.1’ tablet and I need a costumed format to ensure smooth playback on my device. Magic support 1 Android tablet only- the Kindle Fire. Hope the old Archos format work for new Archos tabs.

magic-dvd-ripper-profile.jpg

WinX DVD Ripper- seems that WinX support quite a lot of formats(MP4, MPG, WMV, FLV, MOV), and luckily I managed to find Samsung Galaxy Tab format which works for my device. Are there any other formats for more Android tablets? Well, unfortunately NO.
winx-dvd-ripper-profile.jpg

Pavtube DVD Ripper- I was really impressed with the profile list of Pavtube. Here you find almost all the Android tablets on market, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Acer Iconia tabs, Amazon Kindle Fire, Xoom, Toshiba Thrive, etc. And you can also find optimized format for iPad, BlackBerry PlayBook, etc. Apparently Pavtube software wins hands down on export format.

pavtube-dvd-ripper-profile.jpg

Compare and check for a best Android formatted DVD Ripper:

profile-comparison.jpg

5. Conversion Speed(10 points)

To keep tests fair, I use the same title (Title 28 of Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked) for ripping, and custom the output format to apply the same setting.

The source: Title 28 of Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, movie trailer of We Bought a Zoo, 2 mins and 23 secs in length.

The conversion settings:

Video- H.264, 640×360, 1500kbps, 30fps

Audio- AAC stereo, 44.1khz128kbps

Andre here’s my test result:

Magic DVD Ripper takes 3 mins and 41 secs to complete conversion and results in a file of 27.2M.

magic-dvd-ripper-conversion.jpg

WinX DVD Ripper performs faster than Magic. It costs 3 mins and 2secs to generate a MP4 file of 27.7M in size.

winx-dvd-ripper-conversion.jpg

Pavtube DVD Ripper converts DVD fastest. The same conversion takes 2 mins and 50 secs without GPU acceleration. And output file size is 29.8M.

pavtube-dvd-ripper-conversion.jpg

6. Video Effect (20 points)

Finally we come to the most important part we set out to test: how does Magic compare with WinX and Pavtube on aspect of video quality? The following screenshots are the same scene taken from the three output videos.

Magic DVD Ripper (somehow the picture gets stretched)

magic-dvd-ripper-effect.jpg

WinX DVD Ripper

winx-dvd-ripper-effect.jpg

Pavtube DVD Ripper (a logo is set to put on the screen with trial version)

pavtube-dvd-ripper-effect.jpg

Partial enlarged view and compare: Magic vs. WinX vs. Pavtube

effect.jpg

As far as I can see, Magic DVD Ripper failed to keep the original aspect ratio, and gave softer image. The other two presents sharper image with more details, but I noticed that WinX becomes grainy when dealing with bright spots and dark gradients.

video-effect-comparison.jpg

Magic DVD Ripper vs. WinX DVD Ripper vs. Pavtube DVD Ripper in total:

total-comparison.jpg

Conclusion:

Pavtube DVD Ripper is proved to be the best DVD ripper for Android tablets. It beats Magic DVD Ripper and WinX DVD Ripper for almost every aspect except for interface design. Its developer Pavtube also released an advanced version- Blu-ray Ripper (original $49, now only $39.2), which deals with both DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

WinX DVD Ripper failed to recognize the main movie during above test, but it’s still a good choice for those who hang on to freeware. Magic DVD Ripper has an important feature that I did not mentioned of, and that’s DVD backup. And this is a nice tool for copying and burning DVDs.

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
Breaking News!

You may just want to Give Dad Something Useful to celebrate Father's day. What's the gift you have selected for your father? Still have no idea? If your father is a super movie lover. Pavtube Software will be your good choice. Especially,during the Father's day promotion you can get the movie tools you want with big discount - up to 30%.

30% off including

Professional Blu-ray/DVD Ripping software to Rip or convert Blu-ray DVD movies files for personal uses.
Blu-ray Ripper
Blu-ray Ripper for Mac

Best DVD ripping tool to help you backup, rip, convert DVD movies and videos with quality lossless.
DVD Ripper
DVD Ripper for Mac

An all-in-one package tool includes a Blu-ray Converter, DVD Converter and Any Video Converter.
Video Converter Ultimate
iMedia Converter for Mac

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
Get Summer Break Special Offer- Up to 55% off promo from Pavtube Facebook
2013 Summer Holiday Sale- Get Up to 50% off Coupon from Pavtube
Summer Holiday Biggest Discount-Best Blu-ray Ripper 30% off
Get 20% OFF Ultimate Video Converter at Summer Sale Coupon Code
Unique Crazy Summer Sale 2013-Top Blu-Ray to Android Ripper 30% Off
Summer Holiday Crazy Promotion-Save 20% to enjoy HD video/BD/DVD on Android Tablet/iPad

Summer Break is starting now. It's time to have fun: hanging out with friends, spending some quality time with family members, enjoying personal space alone. No matter whom you are with or where you are, watching movies, sharing online videos or editing video footages would be a part of your summer holiday more or less. While a great video converter would be essential in your summer break if you want to do above stuff, and Pavtube software application is a perfect choice.

Good news! Pavtube is offering up to 50% off Special Summer Holiday Discount for its top programs, including Blu-ray Ripper (Win & Mac), Video Converter Ultimate (Win & Mac), Media Magician (Win & Mac), and DVD Creator (Win & Mac). Plus, Like Pavtube on Facebook and you would get an extra 5% off discount from above products!

Expires on July 31, 2013. Time-Limitted! Never miss!!!

Let's get familiar with Pavtube programs!

1. Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper for Win/Mac with 30% off

Pros: fully backup commercial Blu-ray and DVD discs; rip Blu-ray and DVD to many formats, such as .MP4, .MKV, .MOV, etc; support output playback on various portable devices including tablets (the new iPad 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Toshiba Thrive, Nook Tablet, Amazon Kindle Fire) and mobile phones (Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Evo 4G, iPhone 5), HD media player such as Apple TV, WDTV, PS3, and video editing programs like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, FCP, iMovie.

2. Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate for Win/ iMedia Converter for Mac with 20% off

Pros: integrates a blu-ray ripper, a dvd ripper and a video converter which allows regular SD video clips, camera recorded HD footages and online downloaded videos as source media, meanwhile purchased or rent Blu-ray and DVDs are its specialty too.

3. Pavtube Media Magician for Win/Mac with 50% off

Pros: Regarded as a nice camcorder assistant manager; lossless output MTS/M2TS/MOD/TOD videos to original format or MKV; edit timeline without rendering; directly output video friendly with video editing programs or uploaded to YouTube.

4. Pavtube DVD Creator for Win/Mac with 50% off

Pros: burn playable DVD from DVD folder and ISO image within a few clicks; freely edit source material by trimming, cropping, adding watermark, etc; customize DVD menu template /style, menu text, display aspect ratio and background

Interested? Hurry up, the Special Summer Break offers expires on July 31, 2013.

Never miss to get 50% off Media Magician(win/mac), 50% off DVD Creator for win and mac, 20% off Video Converter Ultimate and 20% off iMedia Converter for Mac,etc at Pavtube Summer Holiday Promotion Code and also get more copon at Pavtube Facebook Page!