Best Tablet Browser

cisfast

May 8, 2011
I am testing the dolphin browser with the acer tablet. The main reason is because the default browser does not automatically log to some of the sites in full. It goes to the mobile and that drives me crazy. I log to the UFC site often and I can not even get the site to get out of the mobile. So I started testing with dolphin browser. While it is not fully supported for the tablet, at least I don't think, it works great loading the flash videos on espn and of course ufc. But it sometimes locks, especially on UFC site.

Does anyone know of a browser that is set for the tablet as of now that will default to full web and will play the videos on ESPN? Thanks in advanced.

FarmerTed

May 14, 2011
In the normal browser, type about:debug in the URL box, then go into the browser settings menu where you'll see "debug" as a new section. In there, tap "UAstring" and select Desktop. Now the stock browser tells sites you're a desktop browser and won't redirect to the mobile sites. No need to install a different browser.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Have you tried the Firefox browser? Works well on my HTC Desire but not sure if it's good for tablets

cisfast

May 8, 2011
Thank you. Did not know about the debug feature. However the interesting thing is that it is still not working as I expect it for some sites even after I set it to desktop. Furthermore, when I go to a site like ESPN, the videos that come up do not play. They show as pictures. However, the dolphin works better on that area. But it still locks up sometimes. I will keep playing around with the Chrome browser, but my guess is that it still needs some work. Thank you all for the suggestions. I will also try the fireforx browser and see how it works.

zealouz

May 26, 2011
Just went to the UFC site as I am a huge fan as well. I was able to get the full website (desktop) not the android version. The first time I went there I switched to android view using the dolphin plug-in (Desktop Toggle) and tried to switch back...it wouldn't. So I exited the browser and cleared the cache and history upon exit then tried again...Once again I got the desktop version of the site. I saved the bookmark then switched to android view and could not switch back like before...but if I choose the UFC bookmark I made, it reverts back to the desktop version. Craziness! Hope this helps you out somehow.

mkaczur

Jan 25, 2012
I am testing the dolphin browser with the acer tablet. The main reason is because the default browser does not automatically log to some of the sites in full. It goes to the mobile and that drives me crazy. I log to the UFC site often and I can not even get the site to get out of the mobile. So I started testing with dolphin browser. While it is not fully supported for the tablet, at least I don't think, it works great loading the flash videos on espn and of course ufc. But it sometimes locks, especially on UFC site.

I first tried the Dolphin Browser then I tried the Skyfire Browser I chose the Skyfire Browser made it my default browser. Simple and fast to use easy to bookmark your favorite sites.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What tablet feature isn't supported by Dolphin HD? It should do everything well and if there are too many options (there are a lot) try Dolphin Mini which still has lots of great features but is much simpler to use. Try searching because this question comes up a lot and there are some other really good lists of suggestions. There is no shortage of browsers to choose from and nearly as many opinions about which is "best".

JP

Bernie157

Feb 4, 2012
As a new co-owner of an Acer Iconia A500 and a long-time user of Firefox for Windows I thought I would want Firefox for Android and started looking into it. I thought it would be easier to find it on the Mozilla site and finally did.

User/reviewers on the Mozilla site gave it mixed reviews and some recommended Opera, Dolphin, et al. My guess is that most of them were talking about smartphones rather than tablets.

Assuming I wanted Opera or Dolphin, how would I get it? Use the tablet's default browser to go to their website and download? We don't even see a URL field like on a PC. Instead when pressing on the upper right corner, we see a fan-shaped area with several buttons within it which are not intuitively clear as to their meaning. Could I download on our PC and transfer over by USB cable or mini-SD card?

Bernie in CT

Dhammer01

Nov 25, 2011
Bernie157
You should have the Market application on your tab. Just go into the market and do a search on Dolphin or Opera browser and download. It's that simple.

Bernie157

Feb 4, 2012
Actually within minutes of previous post, I had downloaded and installed a Dolphin version, set it for use as on a "Desktop" (real computer), and have used it a bit so far. Definitely nice. Don't know if I'll bother trying Opera or Firefox.

Bernie in CT

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I thought it would be easier to find it on the Mozilla site and finally did.
Bernie in CT

Ok, the link on Mozilla's site just takes you to the Market. That's the safe place to get android apps.

But be advised that doesn't always work that way, and some links take you dodgy websites where you
can get all sorts of malware.

My advice to a new users is ALWAYS start your search in the Android marked directly from your tablet.
Type Apps (at the top of the screen), then tap Shop. (or put the market app on your tablet's home screen.).