Booting Linux on a KYROS MID1125 - Can It Be Done???

desmadre

Feb 22, 2012
Is this possible? I would like to avoid chrooting into the SD card and accessing linux from a VNC viewer. I've read about this technique however with the overhead of the Android OS on the tablet, there would inevitably be some performance loss using this method.

Would it be possible to install a linux distribution onto an SD card and boot natively from the device to Linux? Many of the popular linux distributions have images that will run on ARM processors and i would like to leverage that in order to use my tablet as a Linux device.

Is there a utility that would allow me to choose a kernel image at boot, similar to a PC? For example, the tablet boots and a menu is available where I can choose to boot to either Android or Linux?

Thanks in advance!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I can't think of any reasons to dual boot Linux with android, To answer your question no it's not possible due to the way telechips makes the MBR and the lk.rom which is what writes the MBR. while I would have no use for my tablet booting Linux, a boot menu would be great, I could easily switch between kernels, and boot options between booting from sdcard or booting from nand.

desmadre

Feb 22, 2012
although you cannot find a reason to run linux on a tablet, there is definitely a use for having such a portable device and being able to run a full suite of apps available in the linux userland. personally, i'd like to be able to use the tablet to do web development and system admin tasks on the tablet. guess its chrooting for me then.

looking at debdroid which could provide the solution