How to run Ubuntu Linux on the MK802

W2COMP

Supporting Vendor
Aug 20, 2012
Ubuntu boots very quickly on the little computer, although performance is a little on the slow side. That’s not surprising, given the MK802′s relatively anemic hardware. It has a 1.5 GHz Allwinner A10 ARM Cortex-A8 processor and 4GB of storage — pretty much what you’d expect from a 2010-era smartphone.

While the MK802 won’t win any speed awards, it’s pretty impressive that MK802 can run a full desktop-style operating system at all. While it takes a kind of long time to launch some apps such as OpenOffice.org and Firefox, they all work pretty well once they’re up and running.

Now MK802 II / Measy U1A is now able to install ubuntu linux!

MK802 II: http://www.w2comp.com/detail.asp?catid=74585&Pdtid=630954
Measy U1A: http://www.w2comp.com/detail.asp?catid=74585&Pdtid=633350

How to install Ubuntu 10.04 on a microSD card

The easiest way to install Ubuntu Linux is to grab a disk image prepared for the Mele A1000, another inexpensive device with an Allwinner A10 processor, and then write it to a 4GB or larger microSD card.
Here’s how to do that. These instructions will assume you’re working with a Windows PC, but the steps should be similar if you’re using a Mac or Linux computer.
1. Download the mele-ubuntu-lucid.img.lzma disk image from the links at rhombus-tech.net or Linux Questions.
2. Extract the mele-ubuntu-lucid.img file to a folder on your computer. You can use 7-zip or another utility to do this.
3. Insert a 4GB or larger microSD card into your computer.
4. Download and unzip Win32 Disk Imager to your PC.
5. Run Win32DiskImager.exe.
6. Choose the drive letter for your microSD card in the “Device” area and choose the mele-ubuntu-lucid.img file for your “image file.”
7. Click “Write.”
a10_disk.jpg

After a few minutes the process will complete and your microSD card should be prepared with Ubuntu 10.04.
If you’re using Mac or Linux, you can find instructions for writing a disk image to an SD card at NookDevs. Note that the site recommends using an app called WinImage.exe for Windows — but I had no success with that method and found that Win 32 Disk Imager worked better.
How to run Ubuntu 10.04 on the MK802
Now that your microSD card is prepared, you can insert it into the TF card slot on the MK802. TF is just another name for microSD.
ubuntu-mk802.jpg

Theoretically all you have to now is connect a display, power source, mouse, and keyboard and you should be good to go.
But the first time I tried this, my MK802 booted into Android instead of Ubuntu. I ejected the microSD card, inserted it again, unplugged the power and plugged it back in and second time was a charm — Ubuntu loaded a few moments later.
There are few more things you need to know though:
Logging in
When you hit the login screen you have two options for logging in:

• username: root / password: ubuntu
  • username: ubuntu / password: ubuntu
ubuntu-mk802_02.jpg

Enabling WiFi
WiFi will not work out of the box. But it’s very easy to enable. Just login as root, open a terminal window, and enter the command “depmod -a” (without quotes) and hit enter. When that’s complete, use the Ubuntu system menu to restart the computer.
The MK802 simply freezes every time I try to actually shut down Ubuntu (or Android, for that matter), but the restart option seems to work just fine. Once you’ve restarted the operating system WiFi should work.
What’s next?
We’re still in the early days of MK802 hacking. Ubuntu 10.04, for instance, is about two years old at this point. It should be interesting to see if people can get newer versions of Ubuntu or other Linux-based operating systems to run on the hardware.
Light-weight Linux distributions that work well with smaller amounts of RAM such as Bodhi Linux or Puppy Linux could also be interesting.
The MK802 with Ubuntu also ran into some display issues — the edges of the operating system didn’t fit on my 1920 x 1080 pixel display. That’s because the MK802 seems to only want to output at a 720p resolution (whether running Android or Ubuntu). Theoretically it should be capable of higher resolutions, but it might take a little work to enable them.

Copied from Liliputing: How to run Ubuntu Linux on the MK802 $74 PC-on-a-stick - Liliputing

Please feel free to discuss if you encounter any issue or problem!

Tested by W2COMP (Up to 1-OCT-2012):
1. Rikomagic MK802
2. Rikomagic MK802-II
3. Measy U1A

W2COMP

Last edited:

W2COMP

Supporting Vendor
Aug 20, 2012
hi xor83,

Just tested for measy u1a, it is working.

Please refer to the pic below!

$20121021_221831.jpg

W2COMP.

xor83

Oct 19, 2012
Thanks W2COMP for you reply,

I bought Measy U1A and its working fine.. :)... and install ubuntu on it .. everything working fine its just that I am not able to install new apps from internet on ubuntu.. showing me this error message:

"wrong architecture (i386)"

Can't I install new apps on ubuntu?

sanketsk

Dec 12, 2012
Hi dear members i followed the instruction and successfully tested on Measy U1A. It worked very well,now i planned to revert it to android and formatted the sdcard to boot it from android but it doest displays any thing on TV. If i remove the memory card and power on the dongle it boots from android. Tried inserting a new memory card but it dosent boot at all if sd card is inserted before powering the dongle. If the card is removed and powered the dongle it boots through android. Can any one help? is there a stock firmware for Measy U1A? please help. As i have to boot the dongle first without memory card and then insert the card every time or else it dosent boots

sanketsk

Dec 12, 2012
Hi dear members i followed the instruction and successfully tested on Measy U1A. It worked very well,now i planned to revert it to android and formatted the sdcard to boot it from android but it doest displays any thing on TV. If i remove the memory card and power on the dongle it boots from android. Tried inserting a new memory card but it dosent boot at all if sd card is inserted before powering the dongle. If the card is removed and powered the dongle it boots through android. Can any one help? is there a stock firmware for Measy U1A? please help. As i have to boot the dongle first without memory card and then insert the card every time or else it dosent boots

I managed to solve the problem
Yesterday i downloaded U1A-404_000_10_121024.rar frimware and used PhoenixCard to burn image to sdcard, then inserted to Measy U1A, powered on the device waited for apporx 10min( i just dont want to brick my dongle so i waited for 10min, 5min is enough) and then removed the sdcard & rebooted the device.
Voila! i got sucess it was UHOST firmware with a tooo good interface far far much better than stock Measy U1A firmware.
First time it took lot of time to boot but after that the speed and looks were quite impressive.
Note: Format the SDCard after use, as it created a hidden partition on sdcard. So every time u use sd card it will flash your device...If using windows the go to device manager to check the hidden partition
I am just happy now so i thought of sharing this information
Cheers!
%28y%29.gif