Can an Android Tablet serve as an input device for a Windows desktop

Gcap74

Aug 18, 2011
This may be a dumb question... but my research on tablets is just beginning and I am actually trying to find something for my team at work for a very specific purpose.

We are part of a multinational team that does a large amount of integration online. Some members of our team have received company issued Tablet PCs (Lenovo) yet most of the team did not get them. Budget cuts are preventing us from upgrading everyone to the standard company issued Tablet PC.

However the need for drawings etc through OneNote and other Office Products would be a significant efficiency for us. So I have been asked to look into graphic tablets/digital pen options. Well there are some graphic tablets that look like they will do what we need I began to think about an android tablet and its potential to serve in that capacity....

We would love the added functionality of a full tablet... however due to Corporate restrictions we can't connect such a device to our network or configure it to serve as our primary machine. But there would be value in having a tablet for working offline etc. So i was hoping that the there is a tablet, or an app that will also function as a graphics tablet/input device for a PC or laptop....

Am I crazy? Or is such a thing possible?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There are several ways that this can be done, depending on your combination of hardware/software. It also depends on how you would like to connect in terms of remote or desktop connections

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

Gcap74

Aug 18, 2011
Thanks Peter. The goal is to find something that would integrate directly with the desktop OS as an input device. We need Office integration, so a remote desktop connection to the tablet would not meet the need. I am also evaluating the Wacom Bamboo graphic tablets. What I am hoping for is a full functioning tablet that would emulate the capabilities of the Wacom.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Sure can, but data input on a tablet is far from perfect and far from practical in bunches of situations. I tried, accomplished it and was far from impressed.