Can anyone explain why tablets don't have data services?

hpdrifter

Dec 29, 2012
Is it the Carrier or the manufacture that's the problem? I need a new tablet. I need one with Data service other than wifi....(yes I use my tablet other places than just Starbucks!) I liked the new Galaxy Note 10.1....they call it their "flagship" model...but no Data service? WTF? Why do they put it on the cheaper tab 2 10.1 and not on the better Note 10.1? Isn't data service an upgrade? I'm stuck with verizon so my only choice for a 10 inch is the Samsung Tab2, Ipad (puking) or the moto Xboard (no thanks!) ......anyone know where I can get information on upcoming tablets dropping on VZW with Data service? I can hold out a bit longer with my Xoom but the sooner the better!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Your best bet is a cell phone provider, or tethering to your phone or getting a MyFi device which you can get from most providers. There is no reason for you to stick with your provider if you really need the data access for the tablet. You could go with AT&T for just that but the tablets do cost more and the plans have you tied up.

Kerberos

Dec 5, 2012
I bought the Asus TFT300 which also doesn't have cell data services, so in the rare case that I'm in a spot that doesn't have free Wi-Fi, I turn my HTC Desire HD cell phone into a "Hot Spot", which my tablet then uses as a Wi-Fi provider. Works like a charm.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have used my cell phones as routers since 2009, I use sprint. Cell phones are perfect routers start the app put the phone in your pocket, you now have Internet on your tablet anywhere your cell phone does.

hpdrifter

Dec 29, 2012
I have used my cell phones as routers since 2009, I use sprint. Cell phones are perfect routers start the app put the phone in your pocket, you now have Internet on your tablet anywhere your cell phone does.

I use my cell phone as well and have been doing so since PDA net came out with the software to to it on my XV6800 HTC.....But using the wifi on your cell phone KILLS the battery like no tomorrow! And I don't want to carry around a jetpack or other hotspot....That's just another thing to be carrying around...So my question remains...is it the tablet manufactures or the cell providors that are the problem here?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I use my cell phone as well and have been doing so since PDA net came out with the software to to it on my XV6800 HTC.....But using the wifi on your cell phone KILLS the battery like no tomorrow! And I don't want to carry around a jetpack or other hotspot....That's just another thing to be carrying around...So my question remains...is it the tablet manufactures or the cell providors that are the problem here?

You may be missing the point. It's not the fault of either. There are plenty of tablet with cell capability if you want to spend the extra money, which is also the reason most are only WiFi. If you must have 3G or 4G you do have options, relatively expensive ones.