Cannot purchase app?

copotay

Jul 21, 2011
Hi all new to the forum, just bought the acer iconia a500 and downloaded a few free apps from the market then I went to purchase Cypria paid version to print. I uploaded by Discover credit card to google market and when i go to make the purchase the ok button is greyed out not allowing me to purchase. in the drop down box where it says payment my credit card number is there as the option, i then went to the website android market and it says unsupported payment method. this is my first android device, was apple previuosly, can somebody tell me where i am going wrong, its not that difficult in the apple store, but i figured i would give android a shot lets hope that its not a sign of things to come with me being new to android

copotay

Jul 21, 2011
looks like i might have figured it out after searching the net, for anyone wondering this print app is made by a co in Japan and it charges in yen when u go to purchase it gives the price in yen, so if your in the US with your credit card u have to notify your card bank to let charges go internationally. I think I will just use my Amazon acct to purchase in Aamazon android store, a lot easier. All I can say is ridiculous, u would think somewhere during the order process or on the app makers page it would explain that.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
So you're blaming the Android Market for a policy your credit card has in place? I would be surprised if you don't have similar problems in the Amazon App store. I have purchased internationally through Market with my Visa debit card. I then placed a pre-paid card on my Google acct (in case someone nefarious got hold of my tablet) in lieu of my standard Visa ... then I also had an international purchase problem. I don't blame Market.

Things to keep in mind before you completely ditch the Android Market:
Updates to programs by developers show up almost instantly in AM, they may take days/weeks to show up in Amazon, if ever
Sometimes Amazon is cheaper...runs more sales
If you delete the Amazon App you lose any programs you have downloaded (even purchased) from the Amazon Store (I don't know if it's possible to delete AM ... maybe if rooted)

I use both. Mostly, I use the Android Market ... but sometimes I can't resist the freebie of the day!

copotay

Jul 21, 2011
Pwalt, no one is blaming the Android Market for for my discover card policy, the question is why is it that I had to find all this nfo out on my own. You would think the Android Market or Google Market would provide that information before you enter your card number, you know something simple like, "Note to all purchasers, the credit card you use for purchasing apps must be approved for international purchases". Not a whole bunch of words while you are sitting there trying to figure out why you can't buy the app for two days. My wonder is how many people just gave up on foreign apps for this reason and did not purchase them at all because they could not use their credit card internationally and did not research why they could not. How much money did the foreign developers and the market lose out on because of this. It seems that all apps in the market should be able to be purchased no matter what the origin is with the market making the necessary conversion to other currencies. Amazon did this because I bought the same app from them and it took me 10 seconds, downloaded it, and working fine. Obviously Amazon, where I already had an account, does the conversion and sends the developer their money in Yen or whatever it is. All I am saying is if we all want Android to flourish this needs to be addressed by the Market.

I will tell you I got my first smart phone after someone talked me into it, Apple 3G, two years ago, and I still have it, I dont believe in upgrading everytime a new device comes out, its not practical, I can wait until it drops in price. My family has an ipod touch, ipod nano, etc. Itunes is a joke and never did like Apple controlling how and what you put on the phone. As far as the ipod touch and nano, nice machines easy to use compared to other mp3 players I have tried over the years but again Itunes syncing instead of the old drag and drop/copy and paste, method is ridiculous, thats why I dont own a Mac computer and still use windows.

I came to research Tabs and looked at all of them from the Ipad 2 to what I bought, the Acer A500. One of my biggest deciding factors was obviously price and apps. All I needed was a wifi tab. $500.00 for the Ipad 2, which is just a big Iphone 4 with no expanded memory or other ports, ridiculous. The Acer A500 went on sale at Target for $400.00 and they gave a $50.00 Target gift card, so I purchased it. My deciding factor was the USB port, Sim Card port, graphics, not the android operating system simply due to me not being familiar with it. Before my purchase and reading numerous comparisons, reviews, etc, they all explained that the apps are what really sells Apple and that the android app market is slowly building and could and probably will surpass Apples Apps in time. With this information I thought I had nothing to lose and went for the Acer with Android. I love the operating system compared to IOS and until this app dilemma, I was fine. It has not changed my mine about Android but if Android's apps are expected to surpass Apples, they do not need roadblocks like this. And regardless of who you are, many of us in these forums very computer savy, the vast majority of people are not and will not spend hours trying to figure out why they could not purchase an app, if its our Android operating system causing the problem, or something else, they will just not buy it, and look for something else. This is not good business no matter what way you look at it. Kinda like a retailer who does not advertise, they will never sell their product.

tks for the differences between the two markets also, and I will continue to try both, especially the freebie of the day