Can't get into bootloader mod

lost.soul

Jan 31, 2013
Hello,

I just got a new Lenovo IdeaTab A2109-H model (That comes with 2 Sim Card trays) and am having problems going into bootloader mod in order to unlock it.

What's happening is be it from ADB or through the key combinations, the tablet simply reboots.

IE: if I run from adb: adb reboot bootloader OR adb reboot-bootloader the tablet reboots into normal mod.
Also, If I turn OFF the tablet and then turn it ON and press the volume down quickly, the same thing applies.

To be noted: I am able to go to recovery mod through both key combination and ADB and I was able to root through the backup&restore exploit (ROOT to MANY exploit).

However, I can't figure out for the life of me why it is failing to go to bootloader mod.

Note: I can't check logcats because ADB can't detect the device through initial stages of booting.

Anyone has any idea on why this might happen?

I can't get the specific info of firmware right now since am not home, but if needed let me know and I will upload them as soon as I arrive.
It is a 4.0.3 firmware though.

Thanks in advance for any help or any light shed on this matter.

Regards,
Adonis Darwish

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
I have Lenovo A2109 and Galaxy S3 as well :D :D

Really?? There is a version of A2109 that has two SIM card slots on it?? 0.o

Ok i am not the best guy that know about the unlock bootloader in this forum, but i will try to help you. Are you using Window and follow mcl630's post about unlocking bootloader?? (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...52434-howto-unlocking-bootloader-windows.html) As what i know about the unlock bootloader, you should go to the fastboot mode though. Also, do you have everything ready for the root and unlock bootloader? Well at least you should have LeTools for the unlock bootloader process.

Also, whether you try to go recovery or fastboot mode, power off your device and hold power and volume down (or volume up depends on what mode you are trying to get in). Release both buttons immediately when you see the white text on the top left of the screen or when you see the fastboot mode.

Alright that is all i can help for now... and your A2109 seems to be different than ours. So i am not sure if you need to do something differently or not.

Last edited:

lost.soul

Jan 31, 2013
I have Lenovo A2109 and Galaxy S3 as well :D :D

Really?? There is a version of A2109 that has two SIM card slots on it?? 0.o

Ok i am not the best guy that know about the unlock bootloader in this forum, but i will try to help you. Are you using Window and follow mcl630's post about unlocking bootloader?? (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...52434-howto-unlocking-bootloader-windows.html) As what i know about the unlock bootloader, you should go to the fastboot mode though. Also, do you have everything ready for the root and unlock bootloader? Well at least you should have LeTools for the unlock bootloader process.

Also, whether you try to go recovery or fastboot mode, power off your device and hold power and volume down (or volume up depends on what mode you are trying to get in). Release both buttons immediately when you see the white text on the top left of the screen or when you see the fastboot mode.

Alright that is all i can help for now... and your A2109 seems to be different than ours. So i am not sure if you need to do something differently or not.

Regarding the two SIM card slots, yep, the A2109-H features that although it is really pointless, only one SIM card can handle 3G while the other only 2G.

Now regarding my problem, this guide doesn't really apply in my case since I can't even get past the second step:

"Reboot your A2109 into the bootloader. There are two ways of doing this:

1. With the tablet connected to your PC, at a command prompt, type 'adb reboot bootloader'.
  2. Power off the tablet, power it back on and immediately tap the Volume Down button. Connect the tablet to your PC after doing this."

And yes I tried using my android SDK's ADB and the one in LeTools both of which to no avail.

Both the options do nothing for me :( and this is where am stuck.

And gr8 to see a fellow S3'er in her :p if you ever need help with anything related to S3 let me know!

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Ohhh i see what happen. You should power off your device and disconnect the USB cable from your computer, and then hold the power button first and then hold volume down button after holding the power button as well, and then you should see a USB icon right in the middle of the screen. Then connect the USB cable to your computer and follow the code with your own path to the LeTools folder location. By the way if your computer doesn't recognize your device, you should manually update the driver. But for now, just try to enter the bootloader first :) Let me know if you still can't enter it.

Last edited:

lost.soul

Jan 31, 2013
Dude if that worked,adb would have worked as well.

And I have already tried that(see my first post)

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Have you tried to hold down the volume - plus the power button down at the same time, if not Google is your friend

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Dude if that worked,adb would have worked as well.

And I have already tried that(see my first post)

Well then maybe you should update your firmware when you get home 'cause we can't help much if your bootloader is missing from your device. Or since you are unlocking your bootloader and will erase your data anyway, you can do a factory reset and maybe it will works again? :)

Last edited:

lost.soul

Jan 31, 2013
Tried a factory reset, nothing change.

Can't update my firmware since am using a stock recovery and need a signed OTA zip which I can't seem to find, and it doesn't update the baseband anyways.

Nothing on google too, am giving up on this Tablet .. here I thought I can help the dev community here :p guess not.

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013

Can't update my firmware since am using a stock recovery and need a signed OTA zip which I can't seem to find, and it doesn't update the baseband anyways.

Nothing on google too, am giving up on this Tablet .. here I thought I can help the dev community here :p guess not.

Isn't there an option on the setting menu about system update? You should do an OTA update your tablet from there. Since your tablet is different from our tablet, I guess your firmware might be different as well.

Oh by the way, can you post a screenshot on the "about tablet" menu please? I am still wondering how your A2109 has two sim card on it, and why is it on 4.0.3 because the A2109 ICS stock rom should be on 4.0.4.

Last edited:

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012

It sounds like the A2109H is quite a bit different than the A2109A-F that all the discussion and development here is for. The A2109A-F shipped with 4.0.4 and was later updated to 4.1.1, while you say the A2109H is on 4.0.3, implying completely different firmware.

Is the A2109H still Tegra 3? Does it use fastboot at all?

Since you have root, you should be able to extract the stock recovery and boot.img and build clockworkmod recovery, but I'm not sure how you'd install it without fastboot or something similar.

Last edited: